POLL - Which image do you prefer? (closed)

I find the color of the juice to be dark, it looks more like apricot juice than orange juice.
a little lighter and more yellow, I think it would be better.

1 Like

You’re right, I’ve made some changes, also to the straw setup (closer to the front edge so it becomes visible):

@ThomasAn_ I would be curious to see how your Bella materials and setup handle this scene:

orange_juice_geometry.3dm (745.7 KB)

Not Bella, I’m afraid, but here is your scene in just released Maxwell 5.2:

Different materials (all Maxwell, including their Orange Juice with SSS) and lighting so not a perfect comparison.

1 Like

thanks for taking the time :slight_smile:

it looks a bit too opaque imo, not really scattering the light from above. Although mine is a bit too much transparent looking at the straw.

i think both could be valid depending on the amount of water to pulp ratio, orange juice can look pretty different.

Thanks for supplying the timely, simple model I needed to try out the new release of Maxwell: I haven’t used it for some time due to the problems with the rewriting of the Rhino plugin and wanted to give it another chance. It is back in my toolbox now.

I poured a glass of orange juice from a carton and it was, if anything, denser than the image. I have sometimes wondered what they do to it to make it like that, if it genuinely contains no additives… I suspect that @Gijs is a “freshly squeezed” exponent. The density of the Maxwell material can be adjusted, but I haven’t needed to go that far yet.

What is more concerning is that the top light is very different from @gijs’ one. I need to work out whether that is an inherent difference or the way I’ve translated the lighting setup. (And if nothing else I need to dial it back a tad as it is washing out the top of the liquid.)

processing some of that pulp very finely could do that I assume. that is probably also the keypoint and part of how the entire drink is personalised/engineered.

i had a quick go in an older Cinema version, exporting the geometry. it is a dirty 9 minute render so excuse the grain. i had no light and not much of an HDR environment. so it does not have any fancy reflections, but as a comparison maybe interesting.

all textures are Cinema native.

orange_juice_geometry

Freshly squeezed orange juice is not as transparent as you guys think.

Maybe we all have a false impression of how thin it should be judging by the carbonated Fanta juices.

i just poured myself some Rauch orange juice and it looked quite a bit denser than on your photograph, i was inclined to make a picture but ehm… i was just way too thirsty :slight_smile:

i think @jeremy5 s version would describe the one i had pretty well. the other renderings really seem to be more fanta inspired.