[poll] Do you use your OS because you want to or because you have to?

Do you currently feel hostage to your home OS ? (the one you use for a living)
Note: The word “like” here means, it’s negatives or annoyances are not numerous enough to justify the hassle of changing it.

• I am forced to use my OS
  • I like my OS
0 voters

if given a choice. If you could magically switch. If all the apps you needed existed in all OSes, so apps were not a determining factor, what would be your OS of choice ?

• Windows
  • Mac OS
  • Linux
0 voters

I feel the first question is priming the poll unfairly. I am missing at least a third option: I don’t mind.

It doesn’t really matter what OS I am on, as long as I can do what I need and what I want to do.

That said I prefer Linux most because I get to poke around everywhere I want to, except for maybe the closed source driver software.

Then again software does factor in, so setting an unrealistic apps-don’t-matter scenario isn’t very helpful.

I prefer Linux ideologically and performance-wise, I go to Windows because I can get stuff done and everything I want and need just works there. MacOS I only do because for some unfathomable reason people insist on using it and Rhino on it.

8 Likes

What an odd poll. What’s the intended outcome here?

Pete

2 Likes

I have to use windows because some of the software I use doesn’t run on a Mac or doesn’t exist on Linux.

The first question is weird because someone can be forced and still like it.

1 Like

Both questions above need another possible response…
“I don’t care”

3 Likes

You guys are overthinking it. If you have no negative feelings, then you don’t feel trapped, so it’s the other option. (ie Using out of appathy or out of like is not a distinction I care for).

That feels like a “if you’re not for us, you are against us” binary mentality which isn’t all that useful. Truth is that reality isn’t like that.

What if you are not forced to use a particular OS, but you still don’t like it? The poll primes people into thinking that not liking an OS automatically means you are forced to use it.

The same for your reasoning where negative feelings automatically meaning trapped.

Setting up a poll a certain way is a tactic to get results you want, especially when giving binary choices. Not saying that is what you’re trying to do. Just noting it here in case you want to improve on your polling (:

3 Likes

Though I prefer Linux Mint, I actually do like Windows as a concept. It is quite fast, very stable, and does a lot of management of hardware and software really nicely now.

It always feels like the contest between the smooth generality of Windows and the very efficient, clean, and non-intrusive spirit of many Linux distributions.

I like the user interface, as I am not into terminal snobbery, but it is rapid if you know what you are doing. If you want to use Linux from the terminal, I think you can get a lot done now from WSL 2 as well; so it’s not all bad on that front in Windows. If Microsoft could almost implement an option to reduce the Windows resource overhead while WSL 2 is active, it may make for a very nice hybrid environment, where Windows just manages basics like core security and hardware pass-through. They could even turn off Explorer.

I do think Windows love of RAM is still a problem though. Why it sits at 6-7 GB all the time is beyond me.

1 Like

You are thinking it like a hobby. This poll is about the home OS you need to make a living.
If your main work can be done in any OS, it makes zero sense to stay to one you don’t like(1). So that option would have no value.

(1) As in: it doesn’t bother you enough to leave.

With many utility products, we don’t have “feelings”, but the choice to continue their use means something. Most people will continue using a thing as long as their disposition >= 0. The moment it becomes disposition<0 then they look to change. That’s why the choice was left binary.

I don’t care about my toilet brush, but it does it’s job and thus use it. if it’s cleaning is subpar to the point I start getting annoyed, then the hassle of getting to the store for a new one is justified.

The question is about as silly as this:

do you adhere to gravity because you want to or because somebody roped you to our planet?

if one is not being personally associated to your question or is developing a new OS the poll seems more like a cry out out for somebody not to feel so alone in being all grumpy about your hardcoded computer environment.

the hassle with your os, the hassle with going shopping… idk… too much hassle maybe, maybe time for a change then anyway.

1 Like

It has been very fun to watch the same “UNIX” discussion resurface over and over again for the last 45 years.

We started the business supporting UNIX clone-based AEC software tools in 1979. At that time, we were focused on helping firms move off time-share services (aka cloud) to in-house microcomputers.

By 1983, we were nearly broke because the AEC firms had moved on to Windows and were no longer interested in the faster, more robust OS. We switched to supporting Windows software (mainly AutoCAD) in 1985. We even tried to support the UNIX version of AutoCAD… that turned out to be a foolish idea, too.

It is also fun to see all the places where UNIX technology has shown up in modern operating systems, including from Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

4 Likes

For what it is worth, I use all three OSes daily, to provide for my family.

1 Like

I still don’t understand the expected outcome from this poll other than OP wanting to vent. It’s clearly designed to drive a specific sentiment, so why not just come out and give your opinion instead of disguising it in a poll?

Given this is in the Windows tag, I assume OP feels forced into using Windows. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. Or just full-screen your apps and forget which OS is hosting them.

Unless you are doing embedded development which often has tools and drivers only for Windows, macOS and Windows are roughly on par with each other in terms of apps. For the rest of the time, how much time do you really spend interacting with the OS shell? (And I assume you’re asking about the shell here, because all the rest is what’s supporting the apps).

I use an iPhone because of the apps. Outside of low audio latency, which Android didn’t have until relatively recently, and even then is iffy, I don’t really care at all about the rest of how iOS works. Other than the lock screen, I’m always in an app. If I could transfer all the app licenses and data to a different brand of phone, then I could easily bounce back and forth between iOS and Android.

I’ve used Windows since v3. I’ve used Linux since a Boston Computer Society meeting back in the early 90s when I got a Slackware disk of it. I’ve always had some sort of secondary “thing” running here on Linux. Right now, it’s the pi-hole on an Ubuntu mini PC.

A large (in most cases, the largest) part of the value of the OS is the ecosystem of apps that run on it. Separating the two doesn’t make sense. If your favorite app only runs on macOS, you are not forced to use macOS. Instead, you are learning that macOS is the only OS with the infrastructure/APIs/whatever you need for your favorite app.

To answer the questions, Windows is my daily driver because I have 30+ years experience with it and now I help build it, making new APIs for features I care about, mostly for musicians more open in our dev process and code. (To be super clear: I work in Windows at Microsoft. I’ve worked at MSFT since 2009).

Religious dedication to one OS or another is not helpful to anyone, nor is it healthy. Having a strong emotional response to an OS is also common but very strange. That’s largely the result of letting marketing work its way into your head and/or making your OS choice part of your personal identity, which is again, unhealthy. The OS is there really just to make the tools/apps you love/need work on the hardware you want.

Pete

2 Likes

not that i am personally a Linux fanboy but i do like the thought that there is a third option, and checking that topic about Rhino on Linux here on the forum from time to time it seems that there is a growing or lets say persistent interest in running Rhino on Linux natively.

I would question if it ever made sense to do the Mac version, a version for people who think paying for software is for chumps and are more “IT enthusiasts” than product designers is a looong ways off.

2 Likes

from what i remember from all the stories that the mac project started almost 100% from somebody compassionate about it… which to be fair is how many… if not all projects start. over the last several years the mac popularity has been steadily increasing… it is a fair amount of McNeels income now i assume.

Yes. We have heard that there is an interest in a Linux version. But the cost of development and support of another OS is enormous. We would need a 30% increase in revenue to support another OS. That means new users, not existing users moving to Linux.

As I mentioned before, we have been watching this conversation for 45 years. So far, the opportunity has never been much above 1 or 2% as near as I can tell.

We can’t focus 30% of our development and support resources on 1-5% of the users without pissing off most of our users.

9 Likes

Could you imagine trying to support any Linux version? The forums would get infested with not only Apple-Microsoft problems, but then:

“I use this dead fork, btw”,

would also be thrown into the mix.