Points to surfaces

Hi there!

I have a tree of points.
Is there a way to connect the points on the attached picture to the surfaces that I draw with blue lines?

final_project_2.gh (23.2 KB)

missing

Replaced the TreeSloth component with standard List Item component.

Just starting to look at this file, no answer to OP question yet.

edit: forgot to post file :crazy_face:
final_project_2_210725a.gh (18.9 KB)

-Kevin

1 Like

From the missing component’s name (‘First/Last’), I suspected List Item would do the same job. :+1:

P.S. I don’t have the patience to sort through such a complicated file and do this elegantly. This is a crude, brute force approach that gets much of it right? Except along the left and right edges… and all data tree integrity is lost!

final_project_2021_Jul25a.gh (28.7 KB)

1 Like

Added the cyan group to filter out unwanted fragments. Definitely absurd! It only shows a way to extricate myself from a mess of my own creation. A little more effort could have these surface fragments partitioned into rows and “columns”.

final_project_2021_Jul25b.gh (47.3 KB)

P.S. Yellow group partitions and sorts fragments into rows. Likely not the solution you hoped for?

final_project_2021_Jul25c.gh (58.5 KB)

3 Likes

I took a different path - trying to preserve the data trees.

final_project_2_210725b.gh (34.8 KB)

Would take some additions to include the triangles along right edge of the pattern. Could use some more cleanup, but I’m out of time for today.

Edit - Had a little more time, so I merged more of the downstream components.

final_project_2_210725c.gh (36.8 KB)
-Kevin

2 Likes

I get lost easily using Split Tree and Path Mapper, as @alena.novikava and @kev.r did in this thread (Relative Item too). It was obvious that the crude approach I used yesterday obliterated the data tree structure and thereby the parametric controls.

So I’m always motivated to look for alternatives… and I found one, starting from scratch.

final_project_2021_Jul26a.gh (35.9 KB)

This works by using the first three sliders to define these two surfaces:

‘Skew’ (0 to -0.5) is multiplied by ‘X Size’ to get the angled edges. Then the ‘Hn’ and ‘Vn’ sliders are used to set the number of “columns” and rows, respectively.

1 Like

Definitely a shorter and clearer path to the same result.
:+1:

-Kevin

Thanks, it’s much clearer to me. The result is similar, perhaps even more flexible in some respects, though it’s not quite the same problem as the original question.

I just added components to make it more complex. Now the ‘Hn’ and ‘Vn’ sliders are accurate with more flexibility in setting the number of rows and number of surface fragments per row.

final_project_2021_Jul26b.gh (41.7 KB)

Is there a count of components in a GH file?

P.S. I removed Group and Ungroup, grafted the first Move output (pure luck?) and it works as before with one difference: data tree branches are now vertical instead of horizontal. :thinking:

final_project_2021_Jul26c.gh (41.3 KB)