Points on, on select

I’m afraid there’s no way to do that right now. I can’t tell what turned on the points, objects with points turned on by selection are exactly the same as the ones with points turned on explicitly.

My initial comments based on just reading the thread:

• Good to have the feature on by default.
  • To get most mileage out of the Serengeti testing, I think it would be best to also have auto-points-on on by default - hope you get that to work, @mikko.
  • I think it’s a good thing to have points turned off on deselect, irrespective of how they were turned on (PointsOn will disappear as a command anyway). I tend to hit Esc to turn off points but always have to think a moment when I have multiple objects with points on. What is fastest: hit Esc and again turn on points of the objects that I still need points on, or leave them turned on for all and live with the clutter for a while (I now see that I had forgotten that there is a PtOffSelected command).

Hi Wim -
I can’t think how this could work without making people (ok, me then) crazy - if you point edit, there are many occasions when there is no selection - either deliberately or not - you’d have to reselect the curve or surface every time to get the points back on, right? I guess it’s worth a try, but I’d expect that not to be very smooth… Maybe they need to stay on until another object is selected, not turn off on deselect.

-Pascal

Yup, only one way to find out :smile:

First automatic pointson for curves prototype will be in the next build. Single pick, window and crossing selecting one curve turns the control points on, clicking on empty space to deselect everything turns all curve control points off.
If you can’t stand it, TestAutoPointsOn disables it for the session.

1 Like

I would really like to experiment with this feature on dimensions. Those are the objects that I almost always have to turn points on in order to do any editing.

1 Like

Hi Mikko- so far this does not mix with selecting curves if points are on - so if I don’t click-and-drag all in one motion. there is no way to drag a curve- once the points are on, there is no top-level selection available.

@mikko

-Pascal

Seems to work over here, in debug and release build. Do you have TestPointsOnSelect in your startup commands? Now that points on select is on by default, you need to remove the command, otherwise it will disable the selection.

Yep, that was it- thanks, that’s better.
This might work fine- I have to use it for a bit. I was kind of thinking it might be best to leave points on until another selection is made, but I see how this allows you to access points on multiple objects- so long as you never deselect, which could get frustrating- we’ll see…

-Pascal

Yeah, I have no idea yet what the best approach would be. I was thinking I could make an empty click turn off the points only if the click did not deselect anything. I may also need to attach userdata to the objects to be able to tell if the points were turned on by selection or by PointsOn command.

In the next build automatic pointson applies to annotation objects in addition to curves.

1 Like

Just a quick throw for people that are using the softare differently. The people that now have posted in this thread use the program too create surfaces / edit them / Render or Mill them. Now from another point of view. I created a plugin where people can easily create / edit insoles. The people that work with it have no idea how Rhino works witouth the plugin and are very very very very very bad with computers. If this commands will be used in 6 it should be possible to turn it off somewhere because it can be very confusing for some people.

Now i’ve only talked about my plugin but I think there are more people that use plugins for other “type” of users

I also wanted to point out that not always we are modeling when working on a Rhino file. We might be:

• comparing parts (from imported data)
  • analysing sections/interferences
  • creating views for documentation
  • live design reviews/presentations
  • just looking at things and thinking about design, life, the future…

and selecting parts might be a necessary evil to move something, hide it, match properties, calculate its volume/area, check for bad objects…

I think points on makes sense as a toggle. More likely a per-object-type toggle, and per-specific-object overwrite. I like the idea of default being:

points-on default for surfaces, curves
points-off default for meshes, polysurfaces

Sidetrack discussion:
More importantly, based on these “Shut up Rhino, I’m not modeling right now” moments, I thing we also need 2 display toggles (display tab for current viewmode settings) where

1. selection highlight can be toggled on/off (very important for presentations)
  2. naked edge color can be toggled on/off (very important for presentations)

G

Gustavo,
You can have a display mode that does not show control points and their control polygons.

As for sidetrack 1: That can be easily macro’ed and assigned to a keyboard shortcut - and combined with the no-points display.

Sidetrack 2: @pascal, I’m trying to macro my way into this one but am not getting there. Moreover, when do the following: Command: -AdvancedDisplay, I can pick any of the options there e.g.: Command: _OptionsPage which will pop up the options dialog box (which I’m trying to avoid) but _AdvancedSettings is echoed to the command line and answered with:
Unknown command: _AdvancedSettings Objects

Yeah… macro-ing advanced display has never really worked right. Probably scriptable though- I’ll take a look,

-Pascal

If you test this out then I would like to have a toggle for this together with ortho, project and gumball.

As I often move curves I would like to be able to move curves with out having to select the points etc. And when rendering I don’t want control points showing. So the ability to turn it off would be nice.

Or use double-click to turn them on.

a toggle would be nice for now, especially if it can use the ‘current’ display mode. any of the 6 or so that I use frequently :slight_smile:

@mikko - here’s a case that is not so good:

Make two curves, select one (points come on) , Invert Delete. You lose both curves.

-Pascal

That should work better in the next build. Likely there are other places where Rhino does not expect an object with points on to be selected.

@Mikko, here’s another-

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-28592

If a curve and surface edge are in the same place- e.g. a curve and extrusion from it, and if the points are on for the curve, it is impossible to select the curve by clicking, only the surface can be selected. OK if points are off.

Edit- sorry false alarm - I’d been messing with the new settings in Options > Mouse. It works fine is the settings are correct for point on selection.

-Pascal

I have this feature (Points on on select) turned off because it doesn’t fit in with what I am usually doing. I would like to be able to get the old behavior where you can’t select an object whose points are on. Granted, very few people are using Rhino the way I am, so if no one else wants this I can continue deselect the surface when I don’t want it.