Pointcloud nearest Point

Hi David, I’m also working on a Minimum Bounding Box tool. I found that 67P (Churyumov-Gerasimenko comet) is a pretty interesting test object (see attachment). If you have some time I would be interested which Min Bounding Box your algorithm will come up with. 67P_Churyumov-Gerasimenko.3dm (2.0 MB)

Hi Jess,

I just meant the octree nodes aren’t the entire corner of the parent node, they are boundingboxes of the content. I do not try to find an oriented minimum bounding box, as that would probably increase search times as inside/outside testing is a lot more expensive for oriented boxes.

You can see that the subnodes are not touching, because they are shrunk to fit the content:

Minimum oriented boundingboxes are definitely interesting. I think a reasonable algorithm is to create a convex hull, then try all edge/triangle planes as test cases for the min box. But that still means performing a lot of calculations, and I’, not even sure if it guarantees the best answer.

Great dataset for testing btw. got any other interesting free-to-use clouds?

Check out this repo for potential test data. It is in PCD format, but should be easily readable (esp. when in ASCII).

Hi David, OK makes sense to shrink the bounding boxes. [quote=“DavidRutten, post:22, topic:12883”]
Minimum oriented boundingboxes are definitely interesting.
[/quote]

Yeah - and it is fun to develop a solver for this problem. BTW: I’ve seen your interesting paper for the ICGG2014 conference. I thought it is pretty cool to use B/W images to visualize n-dimensional context! :smiley:

Sure! I’ve got really dirty stuff from universe! See attached - I don’t mind how you are going to use it, but you should check the security notice on http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models :wink:

433_Eros.3dm (2.0 MB)

@DavidRutten @stevebaer

Was there an update to this? Was the code moved into RhinoCommon / python? If not, can you share your code?

Hi @wattzie,

Rhino’s closest point calculation for point clouds has not changed between Rhino 5 and Rhino 6.

In RhinoCommon, you’d use PointCloud.ClosestPoint.

If you want to get fancy, you can try using RTree.PointCloudClosestPoints.

In Python, you can use rhinoscriptsyntax.PointCloudClosestPoints.

– Dale

Thanks @dale. is rs.PointCloudClosestPoints or RTree.PointCloudClosestPoints available in V5? Its not in my help file and it doesn’t autocomplete.

@wattzie unfortunately PointCloudKNeighbors and PointCloudClosestPoints are new in V6.

RH-41282 is the bugtracker item.

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

Ah that’s unfortunate. I will have to make do with an iterative search then.