Point editor alert / EdgeContinuity

Okay, thanks Pascal.
That seems to work.
Some kind of “autoscale”-button would help to make this a little less complicated I guess.

Another suggestion: why not colour the edgecurve in the appropriate good/bad colours to immediately show the continouity condition (Autodesk Alias style)?

Norbert

1 Like

Hi Norbert - Yeah, I know… do you have an idea what the criteria or rule should be? Perhaps based on curve bounding box size, something like that.

-Pascal

I think the criteria should either be the maximal or average value of the comb length of the graph, probably the max value is more adequate.
Using the “autoscale” button would scale the graph according to that max value, that means the maximal comb length after auto scaling would be the same for all graphs with non-zero deviation value.
Norbert

Hi Norbert - I’m not sure I follow here - if I understand you, edges with different deviation would show the same max hair length? That would make comparison impossible, no?

-Pascal

No, what I mean is that after using the “autoscale” funktion on a comb graph for an edgepair, the max lenght should be scaled to a “reasonable(easily visible) length”.
As there is only one scale factor for all selected edges, this should be somehow averaged between the different deviation graphs, but probably the max deviation would be the most relevant factor.

This is how “surface matching analysis” handles this in “shape modeling”:

and after using “adjust scale” (which is basically autoscale, the scale factor can be changed manually):

This is a one click solution to get a meaningful comb graph for one surface matching (but multiple matching pairs can be activated and saved and remain interactive!)

The “global matching analysis” gives information for bulk matching situations (based on selected or all objects) as a list of numerical deviation values for g0,1,2,3 and colour coded edges (fail or pass) with labeled deviation values.
(This would be the second command some users were asking for, I guess)

The analysis toolbar alone made the VSR/Autosdesk plugin worth buying imho.
Such a shame it got axed.
But lots of room for McNeel to step in.:grinning:

Cheers,

Norbert

2 Likes

Unless I used the tool wrong, it seems I need to click twice per edge… it asks for “edge pair”?

I don’t understand this, but it adds 2x the amount of clicks. There should only be 1 click, even if G0 fails.

Even better, I should just be able to select a bunch of surfaces (even if they are subobjects in a polysurface) and when I run the EdgeContinuity tool, it should get my selection and check any edges it finds in it.

That would save even more clicks!

(Also, the viewport slowed down a lot when I tested it. I hope the performance of this tool will be improved.)

Other than that, I’m seriously considering moving to V7 permanently for this tool alone. It’s just THAT important (to me). :+1:

EDIT: Also, @Pascal, could you please rename this topic to “edge continuity tool” so it’s easier to find? “Point editor” is really a stretch and doesn’t say what this tool actually helps to accomplish. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a very annoying display bug when using this tool:

I activate the diagnostics on a number of edges, and then start tweaking using the MoveUVN tool and everything is fine up to a certain point, when all wires disappear in my viewport.

I then must zoom out a bit until they become visible, and then sometimes I can zoom in and continue working, or I just have to make do with working zoomed out.

EDIT: Just updated the WIP build and also the latest Nvidia studio drivers (were running quite old Nvidia game ready drivers before) and there is sadly no change. The visual bug persists and is easy to trigger.

I can add that when the bug happens, my 3Dconnexion Space Navigator Pro has trouble zooming out, so I have to use the mouse wheel instead.

More strange bugs with the edge continuity tool today… when I click on “add edge pair”, for some reason, the ShowEdges tool is activated instead:

Current workaround is to restart the tool every time, because oddly, even though you close the window and cancel everything, the previous edge diagnostics remain visible (also a bug, hopefully).

Piling on weird stuff here… how is this even possible? A high resolution zebra mesh shows G0 continuity but the Edge Continuity tool is within tolerance on both G1 and G2…

continuity.3dm (57.9 KB)

Hello - I’ll check that, thanks.
Yep, got it…
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-56094

-Pascal

Thanks. Do you have any answers for why the zebra mesh looks like G0 even though EdgeContinuity reports within tolerances for both G1 and G2?

It reports 0.33° for tangency, which is within your document tolerance of 1°, but the zebra stripes are more sensitive than that

1 Like

Ah, so that’s interesting. Catia, Solidworks and Alias all have a default tangency angle tolerance at 0.1, while Rhino has it at 1. Several times when I’ve had problems and posted them to this forum, people have told me to lower the tolerances, and now that I have, other issues appear.

Anyway, someone posted in a thread I now can’t find about not being able to select control points through surfaces, and this is becoming painfully apparent with the Edgecontinuity tool in V7. Several times when I’ve misclicked, the control points have even switched off entirely, forcing me to turn them back on again.

Tolerances are highly dependent on your specific needs.
Just make a template file with your preferred units and tolerance settings (or various files for different use cases) and you’re good to go.

Just to be sure, when I opened your file the tolerance for angle was set to 1

Just to be sure, when I said “lower the tolerence” I mean, I went from 0.1 to 1. But I’m back to 0.1 now and will stay there in order to be better compatible with other software regardless of what Rhino wants, and it does seem that the zebra more or less showed G1 at 0.1 regardless.

RH-56094 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Has there been any thoughts from the developers around making edge pairs easier to select?

For example:

continuity

If the above can’t be accomplished, at least don’t force users to click twice (yes, we know it is a pair, but the usability of taking that literally is just an RSI nightmate).

4 Likes

fully agree with @eobet that the way it is implemented now in Rhino is very user unfriendly. When selecting and edge, I don’t care which of the two I select first, just select one and while we’re at it, select the other that was nearest to where my mouse clicked too! In fact I just want it to work like shown in @eobet’s video.

ps: the labels for distance always show when selecting the distance radio button even when the label for distance is ticked off. The tangency and curvature work as expected.

Edit:if I make a blend surface to another surface, then add an edge pair, of the surface and the blend surface, but now delete the blend surface and create a new blend surface to replace it, the original edge of the surface is still part of (an invisible) edge pair. When I then try to add this edge to a the new pair, it will fail.
probably a difficult description, so I made a video:

Furthermore, it is not very clear which edge pairs are active, so when I add another edge pair, and I would select an edge pair that is already an active pair, I get no feedback whatsoever that this edge pair is already part of the active pairs.

4 Likes

Bug: when there is already a edge pair or multiple edge pairs, after closing the EdgecContinuity tool and running the command again, it should pop up the dialog instead of asking for a new edge pair. Right now if you happened to have selected already all edge pairs you cannot bring up the dialog anymore after closing it.

Another observation: increasing the density of the deviation lines makes the viewport slow very quickly

2 Likes

I see that, thanks - actually any previously selected pair cannot be used to bring up the dialog.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-56864

-Pascal

1 Like