Point Clouds in Reflective Surfaces

We generate hybrid models, containing both rhino geometry and point clouds, for use in reconstructing automotive collisions.

It is often necessary to generate views depicting the drivers field of view. Sometimes we would like to simulate the side and rear view mirrors. We have had success using ray tracing to generate the reflective surface but it does not reflect the point cloud data. From my understanding of ray tracing I was not sure that this will work, but would appreciate any input.

Is there a workflow we can use to accomplish this task or perhaps a plugin that would useful for creating these type of hybrid models?

Mirror

Hello - a couple of things come to mind - you could (via script, I can help you with that) make a mesh around some or all of the points (individually, I mean, per point, a little mesh cube or sphere). Or you could Patch or MeshPatch some subset (most likely) of the points in a cloud.

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal. After taking a look at your suggestions it looks like meshing individual points might be an option for us. I did this manually on a small amount of data and I was pleased with the result. Any help on scripting that would be great. We are currently using python for our in house scripts and I am fairly familiar with the rhinoscriptsyntax python module. We would want to match the material color of the meshes to match the colors from the point cloud data. Is this something we could accomplish using python or rhinoscript,etc?

Hi Chad - yes, I think that should be quite possible- I’ll take a look.

@chad1 - can you send a (small) example point cloud to tech@mcneel.com, to my attention, that I can test with?

Here’s a script to try-

MeshPointCloudPoints.py (3.0 KB)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

you can also use grasshopper and populate your points with any geometry, that would be a few clicks.