This is a little (probably not too serious) plug-in I wrote over the weekend for adding a very basic level of exploded view functionality. I’m not sure how useful it actually is, or how much effort I’ll be able to pour into it after today, but feel free to give it a twirl.
Plug-in comes with six commands:
- BeginExplosionRecord: Assign an explosion trajectory to one or more objects. Selected objects will be hidden and orange duplicates will be added to the model. Transform the duplicates as you see fit, though note that only combinations of move and rotate are properly handled. I cannot guarantee that scaling, tapering or shearing transformations will be retained. Also do not modify the orange objects via control-points, only transform them as a whole.
- EndExplosionRecord: When you are done transforming the orange objects, run this command to ‘save’ the transformations.
- Explosion: Apply the exploded view transformation to all selectable objects that have exploded transformation data. Hidden and locked objects will remain unmolested. Note that this command does not modify the original objects, instead it hides them and puts duplicates in the model.
- Implosion: Apply the inverse exploded view transformation to all selectable objects.
- ClearExplosionRecords: Remove exploded view data from selected objects.
- DisplayExplosionRecords: Draw a wireframe preview of the exploded end-state of all selected objects.
Trajectory data should be copied and transformed correctly along with objects, so if you Array or Copy or Mirror an object with a trajectory the new objects will also have trajectories.
ExplodedView.rhp (19.5 KB)
You’ll need to unblock this file before loading it. (Sorry, discourse will not allow me to upload RHI installers).