Please help to create complex NURBS model from point cloud

i’m interested how it possible in rhino to generate such accurate 3d wireframe dividet into separated elements such as arch, column, base etc.

image.png

and i’d like to share more pictures for better understanding what i’m searching for

image.png

image.png

image.png

step " nurbs interpolation" stunned me by the “internal points” in picture 1 and also the question is how to extract such a complex arch contour (step 2 pic. 1)

please does anyone could explain me step by step how to obtain such a model (fig.11 in paper) from point cloud using Rhino? i’m also interested how to split my cloud into separate parts inside rhino? and the main question is how to obtain somplex model with lots of elements which are perfectly connected to each other?

FabrizioBanfi-VARPaper2020.pdf (4.5 MB)

The images are not visible. I downloaded the linked paper.

There is no simple method to go directly from a complex point cloud to NURBS models. Knowledge of directly modeling similar shapes is needed. How much experience do you have with Rhino and modeling in 3D CAD? If you are just beginning in Rhino a good place to start learning is by working through the User’s Guide and then the relevant sections of the Level 1 Manual and Level 2 Manual. https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

thanks fow answer
a know that it is not easy but i also know that it is possible
i’m familiar with 3dmax and revit modeling techniques, but i find this paper where autor get a perfect result from point cloud, can u please explain what instruments are better for surface creation from 2d cross-sections of point cloud? i was trying to use loft but i’m not sure that in this article exactly that command is used. my goal is to create some complex elements inside Rhino and then export them to revit families.

The only way to get a “perfect” result from a point cloud is to not actually use the point cloud, except to check against. You model the object the way you would without the points there and use the data to check.

Have you tried asking Fabrizio Banfi?

If you can’t get advice from him then post an example point cloud (not too big!) and with something concrete to go on people may be able to be more helpful.

Regards
Jeremy

The appropriate method and commands to use to model a shape depends on the characteristics of the shape and the available information. There is no single command which works for all shapes.

My approach for modeling boats based on dense point clouds is to create initial surface or surfaces based on the point clouds. Then I use those surfaces as starting surfaces for the Patch command in Rhino to refine the match of the surfaces with the points. .