Placing Imported Mesh on Origin at Specific Location

Quick question about orienting an imported mesh/STEP file. I would like to place the center of the base of the model so that it is coincident to the origin of the workspace. Therefore, effectively standing the model “up” on its base.

Could anyone explain that process to me? I’m new to Rhino modeling, have mostly been working with GH so this is out of my comfort zone…
RA_5000_22g.STEP (18.5 MB)

Hi Steven - Orient3Pt, with Vertex osnaps for the first three picks ought to do it.

-Pascal

Thanks for the reply!

However I am pretty inexperienced with rhino modeling. Could you explain exactly how to do that? I’ve tried using that command on it but it just selects the whole model and I can’t place the reference points on the base like I am trying to, it just places them on the workspace plane.

Hi Steven - see
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/orient3pt.htm#(null)

-Pascal

Again though I am having trouble selecting the part of the base that I want coincident with the origin of the workspace. I keep selecting the entire model and I can’t figure out how to place the reference points on the base like I am intending to. Any advice?

Hi Steven -selectinf the object is part of the process - watch the command line for prompts…

These steps, from Help:

1. Select the objects.
  2. Pick the first reference point.
  3. Pick the second reference point.
    This defines a base direction from the first reference point.
  4. Pick the third reference point.

All three of these points are set with the Vertex osnap on mesh vertices in the bit of the part that should be smacked down on the CPlane.

Then pick three target points - you can type in point coordinates like

or pick in the viewport.

-Pascal

I’m sorry I must be misunderstanding you or vice versa.

It only lets me select the entire model which is fine,

But when I try to place the reference points on the base;

It places them on the C plane instead. Am I missing something? I’m not sure how to use the “Vertex osnap” that you are describing. Its probably very obvious but I am very inexperienced with Rhino7 modeling so any advice would be very helpful.

Hi Steven - your images show a mesh ogject. This is not a mesh so something else must be happening - at any rate, Vertex osmap will not help unless there is a mesh. You’ll need diffferent osnaps like Cen and End to find the center of the big circle and the end point on one of the edges.

Say you want the part’s big circle to be on the CPlane with the center at 0,0,0:

First point, the center of that edge:

Second point, the end point of one of the circular edges:

Third point along one of the circular edges with Near osnap.

These three points establish a base plane. Now you need the target plane- this is defined by the second set of three points

The object is then reoriented from the base plane to the target plane.

-Pascal