Pipe connection Y shape

Hi Guy,

Anyone have Idea to make this surface in Rhino or grasshopper?
Please add your advise to me
Thank so much

Hello sailor!

This will help you get started.

weird_branch.gh (12.0 KB)

Best regards,
Sir Ernest Shackleton

If this answer solves your question, please mark it as Solved

If you can use meshes:

3 Likes

I have more complex connection, can use this plugin?

Please see my file
Thanks

NUT GIAO R5.3dm (1.3 MB)

There was this, but I must redo it with Subd. Not sure you’ll manage to make it work !!!

2 Likes

wow so very nice
Can you help me to do my sample.
Thank Laurent so much

I will try in some hours.

1 Like

Thank you looking support from you

The old fattener component I shared in the post Dani linked above won’t work here, but the new one I’m working on does:

branches.3dm (221.8 KB)
This is only for the Rhino v7 WIP version though.

6 Likes

Is it already released? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The best I can do, for sure SubD could change a lot of things !!!
The genepools are used to input the radius of struts.
AdaptorClearance mut be done for each strut but here it applies for all struts of the node. Not perfect for what you want.

20200413_YANG_to_send.gh (45.1 KB)

I think one advantage of my script is that it output construction geometries. So you can use them to build your own geometry by hand.

3 Likes

Yes it could be converted to SubD in RhinoWip,

1 Like

perhaps an approach of this style.
PIPE_Y.gh (1.5 MB)

1 Like

Dear Laurent
Your solution is so cool
And I have more issue below
1- Can the change length of connection of 3 pipes

2- pipe bottom with thickness 40 and diameter variable 800-650
pipe top same diameter 355.6*31.75mm
Can create Brep connection with solid and thickness is variable from 40 to 31.75 and divide to 3 parts for welling
Thank Laurent and All

Just a try

joint.gh (12.6 KB)

2 Likes

Hello

1. My algorithm was not designed to make just one one but multiple. So you don’t specify the length of connection but the minimum distance allowed between struts (adaptorClearance). So the answer is no.
  2. The tool doesn’t know thickness

So if you have just one node to make, try to replicate the logic from my script or @vikthor logic and finish the work in Rhinoceros. You’ll find on this forum many discussions on Y junctions modelling by hand.
If you want to use parametric from Grasshopper to optimize or whatever you’ll have to learn Grasshopper and if necessary some programming language. It is not ans easy task for Node optimization, they are many constraint, tricks…

Maybe a factor to consider is having the section of the structure not decreasing in the node.

Before “splitting”, the node shouldn’t have a smaller section than the diameter of the largest beam.

This would make the node the weakest part of the structure?

I don’t know structures well, maybe there are only compression/tension stress so what i’m saying is wrong…

Anyway, wonderful thread and wonderful solutions!

1 Like

I tried briefly, but my skills just aren’t there yet. But I was thinking to possibly achieve your desired results using the Dendro components somewhat as in the model here.

Gnon does the homework
look at the example of @anon39580149
NGon | Food4Rhino

unnamed.gh (9.6 KB)

2 Likes

Here a solution using Mesh and Dendro. It allows to output a 3d model with thickness. Not very clean.
Like @vikthor it uses blend.

20200415_nodes_test.gh (31.8 KB)

3 Likes