Pipe component on a "bad curve" - help me understand! :-S

Hi,
I know this is a “bad curve” but can anyone actually tell me why I can’t create a pipe from the curve? I’m not interested in simplifying the curve or something else, I simply want to know:

1. Why the pipe component breaks the pipe at this location?!
  2. Is it possible find the breaking points/connections before and split the curve at these points to solve the problem?

bad_curve.gh (6.2 KB)

EDITs: new files

What are your Units/Tolerance Settings?
Seems fine here:

Standard RH settings - meter template

Changing the tolerance have no effect :frowning:

you could try this:bad_curveC3.gh (6.6 KB)
Seems to be something with the anlges,dont know its strange I think, I assume changing angleTolerance ends up like rebuilding it, bascillay what you do not want

1 Like

Yaaah, really strange!

Thanks for the script!

Changing the tollerances fixes some problems for THIS curve.

1. Why the pipe component breaks the pipe at this location?!

Pipe relies on continuity I believe, or it makes a kink. My guess is it can’t figure out how the kink should be at those breaks (kink is like a miter that is a degree between the two segments, so a 90 degree kink would have a 45 degree miter). Since it seems the explode component shows discontinuity there it means that the continuity of the curve is broken there, even if you can’t notice it by eye.

1. Is it possible find the breaking points/connections before and split the curve at these points to solve the problem?

The explode component as you have done or try the discontinuity to test for different kink types, maybe also the curvature graph, the solution would be to make a better curve, why is simplify not an option? Have you tried to use fit curve?

1 Like

Also, your angle tolerance is really small. Default is usually 1 degree. That could be a reason it can’t figure out those kinks.
Capture

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/faqtolerances

Hi Michael,
Thanks for a detailed answer.
I’ll investigate the “kink” possibility further tomorrow. It seems to be the right answer :blush:
Changing the tolerance does nothing.

Changing tolerance will change the waz how pipe is constructed:

3 Likes

Okay… it is all about tolerance! :blush:
Thanks for all the fine answers! :smiley: