Pipe command ok wireframe but mess in other views

Hi,

arrayed a line, pipe commanded it,
looked good, next day I set camera to view from behind this railing, result showed not just pipes.
so moving camera elsewhere, still its a mess, any view type other than wireframe of it is a mess, all sorts of non pipe shapes.

whats going on ?

file attached
railing pipe command problem in all but wireframe view.3dm (270.1 KB)

Steve

Your geometry is 450 126 units from the world origin. Move things closer and the meshes will be fine.
There are many posts on this issue - just search discourse.

In addition to @wim`s post, the problem shows with all your geometry placed somewhere in the universe. If you explode it and just join, the display seems to behave in shaded viewport.

c.

Hi,
the building was drawn up with cplane origin at its one corner, but then copied out to the file that had lidar terrain data imported.
The terrain imports to what appears to be its geographical location relative to OS 0,0. many miles away from 0,0.

I then created a new Cplane at the properties corner as before, yet thats made no difference.

the supplied file is that balcony with that resited Cplane origin copy pasted out to a new file, I guess doing so leaves the cplane origin behind. but in my scene its sitting under the corner of the building.
As such then , even resiting the cplane origin to the building when it finds itself miles away from 0,0 doesnt solve the issue.

One has to explode geometry on objects that are pasted to locations away from 0,0 …seems a little odd to have to do that . Shouldnt resiting origin avoid that ?

Steve

The C-plane doesn’t have anything to do with this. It is only the distance of the object to the world origin.

Rhino uses World Coordinates, not CPlane coordinates for internal calculations. So creating a new CPlane with its origin closer to the objects doesn’t make any difference. You need to move everything close to the World coordinate origin.

@Steve1,

the cplane origin does not count, understand “far away from the origin” using the world origin. Eg. use the _Distance command, then enter w0,0,0 and click on your part for the second point. Try to keep this measured distance as small as possible to avoid such errors. I know it is tedious, but the only way atm.

c.

Hi,

I went with the default behaviour of how the lidar data etc imported, far from it for me to start meddling and relocate it, as surely another import might not reference correctly.
I had no idea that rhino would require such inbuilt georeferencing to be overidden. Having worked with GIS I leave things alone as someone ‘in the know’ makes it all knit together.

So I need to resite all the terrains, maps etc as they come in to a world origin.

So do I understand correctly, I click on the south east corner of each dxf or dwg or tiff or points set and run the move command and enter w0,0,0 ?

the lidar didnt have a sharp corner though, but being many hundreds of points the corner was where my polygon chop had fallen on it when purchasing it. Not sure if even a dwg file of OS hedges and so on has a ‘corner’, not sure I can find a common point for all the different data that I imported.

Should I draw a bounding box for the site and keep that in the location where the data first comes in, then clone that and group it to whatever import I make, and use its south east corner each time to move it to w0,0,0 ?

Steve

We’ve had to make “translation stations” since before Windows existed.
State Plane coordinate systems for example.

Look at the smallest X,Y coordinate in your imported LIDAR data.
Pick a point with a clean integer coordinate a little lower is X and Y than that point.
Draw something there and label it with the actual coordinate it represents.
Then select EVERYTHING, including the translation point, and Move the lot to 0,0, using the point as reference.

Then in the future when you bring something in, you will know how much to move it by.