Pink Custom Toolbar Icons

I have placed 2 custom icons on my toolbar. They look fine when I place them, but when I restart the program they come up pink. I have use Jpeg and PNG files with the same result. Same issue in both WIP and 5.2.2 versions.

Here is one of the icon files I am trying to use:

(Marlin Prowell) #2

You are seeing a diagnostic tool we have for finding misconfigured tool palettes. If the command referenced by a tool button does not exist, it gets a translucent red background. Normally we don’t even show a tool button if the command does not exist, so there must be some other condition that shows the button with this background rather than hiding the tool button completely.

I am executing a python script from the button. Is there a proper way of creating a button for a python script that would not give me this result?

(Marlin Prowell) #4

Hmmm… That shouldn’t happen. This needs further investigation.

hey Jason,

nothing about the pink icons but…
if you have your python script in the location shown in the path (mcneel’s scripts folder), you don’t need to type the whole path after RunPythonScript… nor do you need to include the .py extension.

to run your script, this will work instead:

-RunPythonScript MultisquarePipe2VR

(Dan Belcher) #6

Interesting, I’m unable to reproduce this in the latest RhinoWIP (5D74w).

This issue is, however, present in Rhinoceros 5.2.2 (5C256). Logged in MR-2874.

I am still getting the icons in the latest RhinoWIP (5D74w).
Here is a screenshot.

I just noticed this today, same build …

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.3 WIP (5D74w)
IronPython version: not installed
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10 (Build 14A389)

Plug-ins
/Users/fatty/Library/ColorPickers/SkalaColor.colorPicker/Contents/MacOS/SkalaColor

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4370)
com.digidesign.mbox2.boot.driver (10.3.5f211)
com.Greatdy.driver.SystemAudioCapture (1.0.0)
com.intel.kext.intelhaxm (1.1.1)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacPro2,1
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 24 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200
Displays: Cinema (99dpi 1x), BenQ FP231W (98dpi 1x)

USB devices
PixArt: DynexWired USB Optical Mouse
Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: Apple Cinema Display
Digidesign: Mbox 2
Hewlett-Packard: hp LaserJet 1000

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.28.29
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

I saw that this issue was closed on the developer site, but I am still having issues. The comments were that they were unable to reproduce the issue.

Maybe I am going about this wrong. So please look at the video to see if it is rhino or the way I am setting this up that is causing the pink Icons.

(Dan Belcher) #10

Hey @jason Thanks for speaking up and providing the video. Looks pink to me. Can you please send along your system information?

Thanks @dan for taking another look at this. While I am not a work with my machine to get my iMac system information. I can however post my MacBook system info which displays the pink icons just the same.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.3 WIP (5D177w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
WIP expiration: February 17, 2017
Language: en-US (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.12.2 (Build 16C67)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.logitech.manager.kernel.driver (6.30.1) 3C06CAEF-E16C-32DD-B325-532EB14DBA9E
com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.9.1) no UUID

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro10,1
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1440 x 900
Displays: Color LCD (221dpi 2x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Logitech: USB Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.14.20 355.10.05.15f03
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Hi Jason,
I noticed from your video that you created your new button and added it straight into one of the palettes, then saved the new customization. If I do this with a new button and put some complete nonsense in the command macro text field, I am able to reproduce your pink button. If I however save the new button first, it just disappears from the stockpile without any message (I would have liked to see a warning message). If I however put a meaningful command in there, then save it first and copy it to a palette in a second customization session and save again, all is well.
I can only conclude that your new button has some text error in the macro, but I cannot read it from what I see in your video. Did you check if it still exist in the stockpile?

Max.

Edit: some more experimentation: when I change my proper macro to nonsense again, the button disappears from the stockpile, but it remains visible in the palette I added it to earlier but with a pink background!. This must be what @marlin described as the raison d’être for this feature in one of the earlier posts.

Edit2: My conclusion is wrong, read my post below.

I noticed this the other day, using 5.2.4, that if i create a new icon it becomes untitled with the transparent red “pink” colour.

Not sure where this fits in, but if the icon macro is a meaningless or wrong command(s) then you get the pink colour icon?

«Randy

-RunPythonScript MultisquarePipe.py

This is am example of the command that I am issuing in the script box.
The script run and executes as it should, so I’m not sure what is going on.
Is my syntax of issuing the command correct?

I have went as far as pasting the whole script into the box rather than referencing it, resulting with same pink result.

@jason: There is nothing wrong with your macro as far as I can see, it works for me.

I have played with commands customizing some more, and it appears that the pink color in your tool palette is simply a result of creating the new button and adding it to the tool palette, without saving it in between.
When you create the button and save it before adding it to the tool palette, it looks like the macro is checked on validity, and the button is discarded when not valid. The customizing window closes on saving, so you cannot add an invalid button to a tool palette.

Another way in which I managed to get a pink background is:
-create a new, valid button
-save
-reopen the customize window, note that the new button now has a regular white background
-add the new button to a tool palette
-save
-reopen the customize window
-alter the macro, rendering it invalid
-save
The result will be that the button disappears from the stockpile, and the corresponding button in the tool palette gets a pink background.

Max.

Thanks @maxz for the reply. It have tried what you suggested, but when ever I use the “-RunPythonScript” within my custom pallets I am getting the same results.
Can you use the “-RunPythonScript” command within a custom pallets without getting the pink icon?

I have tested different ways of creating commands for my custom tool pallet.
It seems that the common thread is my “-RunPythonScript” command.

I can take a native command say “! _Bend” and put in my custom button with not problem.
I change the command back to a “-RunPythonScript” command and I get a pink icon.

Likewise, when I take a native button and change the script command to “-RunPythonScript” the native icon turns pink in my custom pallet.

I have followed the same save procedure for the built-in command scripts and the custom Python script. Any command works fine in the custom button position, until I use “-RunPythonScript” command. The script runs fine, so path is valid.

I feel that the diagnostic tool is having issue with the “-RunPythonScript” command. In my testing it the only common thread in turning the icons pink. Any other command works fine within the custom or modified pallets.

Just a quick thought - does it work with _-RunPythonScript (with underscore) ? You shouldn’t need it, but maybe the “checker” is looking for it…

–Mitch

Thanks of the suggestion @Helvetosaur, but it did not change anything.

@jason, I created a button with your exact macro -RunPythonScript MultisquarePipe.py, saved it, added it to my popup palette and tested it. No pink background, no error messages. Even though I do not have a python script with that name. After changing the name to something I do have, it all works as expected. I am using the latest commercial release 5C262.

Did you check at any point if the button still exists in the stockpile? (my name for the library at the left-bottom quarter of the customizing window)

Max.

You should try it with the latest WIP 5D177w. The pink color is no longer used (at least not in the same way), but has been replaced with a validity test. You cannot add an invalid button to any palette, you get a warning that the macro is invalid and you get that same warning when trying to save it.

Max.