Piece List Output

Hi all,

how do I output the number of values directly?
So instead of getting the Number of Each Set - i want the number of Individual Pieces.
e.g.:
2x55
12x60
2x65

and so on.

Thanks a lot,
Mario

Listensortierung.gh (1.3 MB)

Break the habit of passing data through text panels, it will fail with geometry and may cause rounding errors with REAL numbers.

Listensortierung_2021_Aug10a.gh (1.3 MB)

1 Like

I noticed only after the fact that this GH file is huge (1.3 MB) so took another look. It appears you are calculating the Z length of your breps (columns?) based on their volume and dimensions, then rounding to the nearest integer, then rounding again to the nearest “5”?

Here is a way to measure Z lengths directly using Bounding Box. The MA result is different than before, suggesting a round-off error before? Was 74565 and is now 75160 in this version.

Listensortierung_2021_Aug10b.gh (1.3 MB)

I wonder if Z lengths should be rounded to their ‘Ceiling’ values instead of ‘Nearest’ (rounding down)?

Hi Joseph,

thanks for your response and your help.
Correct, I want to get a list with heights of my columns. As you saw, their original height is a decimal number, so in order to make manufacturing easier its necessary to get “nice” numbers.
Means i either will output Integers, or as I would prefer integers rounded to “5” in order to get bigger “number packages” (faster and easier manufacturing)

I do know the Mass Addition command, I seem you understood my wrong, but I found a solution for my problem with the lists:
I do want to show how many columns have the height (e.g. 55,60,65…) - since I want to the carpenter to have a quick overview what to do - and not have him to look at 2 lists.
He will order 8x8 scantlings, each 4 meters long and cut them to my “nice numbers”.
Thx to Mass Addition I know how many he will need.

The next step will be to use my rounded numbers to reverse engineer my original columns.

Thanks again for your input,
Mario

That’s possible. Do you understand the difference between rounding to ‘ceiling’, ‘floor’ or ‘nearest’?

Blue columns are original, green shows scaled columns to match the rounded lengths. I used Round ‘C’ (Ceiling, yellow group) but you could change that to ‘N’ (Nearest).

The columns are scaled in Z from their volumetric centers (top and bottom). That can be changed to keep their bottoms or tops in a fixed position, if you prefer?

P.S. I added the ability to use the bottom or top points of each column for the center of Scale NU (the ‘P’ input), or you can revert to the Volume ‘C’ (Centroid) if you prefer.

Listensortierung_2021_Aug10c2.gh (1.4 MB)

Thanks again Joseph for your perfect replies and help!

I do understand the differences between rounding to nearest, floor and ceiling.
Correct me if I am wrong, but rounding to nearest gives the same result as integer does - so i used integer to get the value closest to the decimal numbers.

Perfect thank you for the solution with the scale, I was trying another approach (using the rounded list to create the breps again, but yours is way better.

Thanks alot Joseph!

That appears to be correct, yes. You can use Round ‘N’ (Nearest, yellow group) output instead of ‘C’ (Ceiling) easily enough. As you can see in this image, some columns get shorter that way, rounded down where the blue originals are taller than the rounded-to-5 length green columns.

P.S. Or keep the column tops at their existing heights (so carefully planar) and let their bottoms move up or down by rounding, using Pt Top instead of Pt Bottom for Scale NU ‘P’ reference.