Performance issue with object snap in layout view

Hi,

once again I am despairing with Rhino’s performance. This time I am trying to add some dimensions to a layout and object snapping is so slow that it becomes virtually unusable.

I am using VisualArq’s 2D plan view feature for documentation so the plan is mostly lines and hatches. When I hide the plan view snapping works but then I don’t have a plan to put dimensions on :roll_eyes:

I am running Rhino 7/VisualArq under Windows 10 on a 2019 MacBook Pro, I guess it’s probably not the best machine for the task; but I am thinking there has to be a way to make it work so that at least I can do simple documentation!

I’ll attach system info and you can view the file here Dropbox - PVZH VisualArq.3dm - Simplify your life

Thank you for any help!

Rhino 7 SR22 2022-9-12 (Rhino 7, 7.22.22255.05001, Git hash:master @ 196b1bc7dd093321e28dcc7a2bb8709a9bebe12d)
License type: Kommerziell, build 2022-09-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [99% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M (AMD) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 11-11-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.14761 Compatibility Profile Context FireGL 20.45.40.15 27.20.14540.15002
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 7 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port 1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 11-11-2021
Driver Version: 27.20.14540.15002
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\VisualARQ.rhp “VisualARQ”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp “Tibidabo”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.22.22255.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SectionTools\2021.4.30.511\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Update: I have copied the file and opened it in Rhino 7 for Mac – no problems at all with OSnap in Layouts. Maybe it’s something to do with Grasshopper/VisualArq running since I guess on Mac there is no VisualArq plug-in and the VisualArq (dynamic) plan view is converted to a static 2D curve drawing. But really I have no idea.

If that were the case though: Is it possible to temporarily disable VisualArq, draw some dimensions, and then reenable VisualArq and have all components and plan views update as before in the same file?

Hi -

I opened your file in Rhino 8 on Windows without VisualARQ and didn’t have any problems snapping in layouts.

As far as I understand, the recommended way to deal with plans in VisualARQ is to use the 3D model and VA display modes. That is because the dynamic plans proved to be too slow.

That’s probably best asked as a new question in the VisualARQ category of this forum.
-wim

Hey @wim , thanks for looking into it. I’m trying to move the topic to the VisualArq forum, I can’t seem to find how to do that. Or do I need to make a new post?

Hi - I can move it.
-wim

1 Like

I would have done that; I am only using 2D plan views as a workaround because for some reason the 3D VA display modes won’t export correctly to PDF :unamused: (see my other post Print to PDF issues (lines are disappearing))

As it seems that particular issue seems to have been resolved with a recent VA update. So actually Wim that is what I am doing now and it works a lot better, if not perfect.

2 Likes

Hi @accounts2,

I have now downloaded the 3DM, but I can’t find any plan view. Did you delete them and update the shared file?

I want to test the file and see if I can fix the osnap issue for 2D plan view.

Thanks,

Enric