"Penguin display" RH6

That sounds great! (When I used the term “Layers” I meant to refer to it the way PhotoShop uses it, where one layer can be multiplied with the underlying ones, but compositor sounds much better.

Being able to have Technical together with Archtic or rendered would be a great start too.
I use Arctic that way now, but it doesn’t have options for outlining objects, so it only works well on box objects like here:

And as you showed being able to use the zbuffer to add fog or darkness (dark fog) would be great.
There are so many situations where non photo real images communicate better than photo realistic renderings, and it can be much easier/faster to achieve a decent result.

(OT: By the way, uploading a screen shot to DeepArt can also give some very cool NPR results. You should check it out for inspiration if you have not done so yet)

Here’s an example by using your tie fighter:
https://deepart.io/img/gaZC5NQ5/

Hi @jeff I see that V6 now supports the different light styles in Technical and that is just sweet! Thanks for adding that!

One “small” wish I have for all display modes are CurveTransparency.
That can also be a wish for your “Render Compositor” tool.

Cheers

Hi @Jeff,

getting back to this with a question/idea, before we get a full-fledged Compost in place :wink:

Would it be possible to add a display switch (similar way that ShowZBuffer and TestShowShadowMap do) to display only the Curves/Edges of the current viewport, and use a single, solid, user-defined color for the rest? As if keeping the normal view as-is, but filling all with, say, white, but then overlaying the Curves on top, with all the parts hidden by geometry, still in place.That would be display-mode independent, just kind of filtering out the curves/edges on top of flat shaded, solid color geometry. So that can be later composed over as a Layer in image editing software…

Maybe it’s already there, under a test command? Or doable to add as plugin/testcommand in Rhino6 SRs cycle?

That would enable a nice extra layer of making composite screenshot.
Ideal version: user can define the background/shade solid color, and/or pick to show Curves,Edges, or Both.

–jarek

Do you mean like the displaymode in Holomark that is a technical display with object colors that uses the render material and has no highlight and shadows? I have one where all objects are pure white too:

Here shown with a beautiful two color gradient :wink:
but it uses the viewport background setting so you can choose what ever you want.

It is just a technical tweak, so nothing fancy on my side, just default fancy Rhino stuff (that should be a default mode IMO) ((And if you want ambient lighting then just turn it on in the settings for the display mode, that works too)

White_Technical.ini (11.3 KB)

Edit: it works on subd objects too, but then there are some odd creases appearing that can be worked around by extracting the rendermesh, like I did on the chair shown above:

@jeff do you know why that happens to subd objects?

Hi @Holo,

no, not really. Nice one, but what I am after is just a “Curves” component from any display mode.
Imagine any display mode that you “mask out” all the geometry with a single solid color (say, white) and draw the curves/edges only on top of it, keeping the thicknesses, colors, etc. from the original.

It is kind of implemented in the Rendering window where in Post Effects you can turn on/off the edges/curves.

I would like to have the “curves/edges” info extracted from the current vport. I am sure the drawing of them happens somewhere as a pass in the display pipeline. I am after that pass…

–jarek

Ah, got it. So curves only and rest transparent. Can’t help you there :slight_smile:

(But for the record and for new users: I use the above display mode together with a white background and compose in Photoshop by using multiply to add only the curves to the rendering)

Ideally, but solid color background would be a good enough option (to use in Multiply composite mode as you said)

Unfortunately for most of our project the Technical mode is out of question since it takes forever to compute.

@Jarek,

An example (cooked up or otherwise) would go a long way here…because all it sounds like you want is a mode where everything is pure white, no shading, no lighting, and then curves…but that can’t be it, since you can already do that quite easily…so I’m missing a key requirement here. ???

Here’s standard Rendered:

Here’s what I think you’re asking for:

What am I missing?

-J

Hi @Jeff,

Ok, here is the example (below). Let me try again:
You know how ShowZBuffer and TestShowShadowMap work with ANY display mode? I am looking for a similar display toggle, not a display mode, that would filter out only the curves/edges component from the current viewport. Keeping all geometry and background as user-defined solid color (or WHITE for starters).

The idea is to be able to screencapture it and compose over other layers for greater control of the curves/edges element.

Currently we can create a display mode that is a copy of current one but has the background set to solid color and override the material to be solid color that retains the transparency and has no lighting (the sample below was created that way), but: A) its a lot of work each time, especially when working with various modes B) it falls short on scenes where mixed per-object display modes are used (most of our projects)

Looking for your help to “filter out” the curves/edges and draw everything else as solid flat color (retaining transparencies). Doable ?

@Jarek,

If you just stick to a single white background color, then you may be able to do this already… However, changing background color is where things will fall apart…since you also want to maintain the object colors. I’m not going to get into why that is here… but if white backgrounds are “good enough”, then a display mode might get you there:

However, if by “object colors” you also mean Rhino materials, then I’m afraid this will require some new code.

-J

Hi Jeff,

Looks like its getting to complicated so I guess the answer is NO where I was hoping for a simple fix or enhancement.
I was hoping the curves/edges are drawn as a separate “pass” at some point in the pipeline, and that pass could be brought up separately on top of solid color for everything else via some display toggle trick (like zbuffer or testshowshadowmap that are display-mode-independent).
Maintaining the object edge colors and curve colors. No materials, as all would stay white (or whatever flat color).

So - in many cases I could already make a display mode that emulates that (as my samples above), but it only works if there are no objects in the scene with custom display modes, which here is hardly the case.

That’s why I though universal mode-independent toggle for filtering out OpenGL “Lines” could be possible.
If that’s too complicated or lots of work, probably not worth spending time on it. I hoped there is something like that under the hood that could be exposed as a test command.

thanks!

–jarek

Cycles would benefit from that too.
Here shown with a semitransparent plastic:

So since Cycles just draws everything on top if a material is transparent then I guess your answer is “NO, curves and their transparencies are not drawn on top in the pipeline”.

That is a bug and on the pile, I added a YT item some week or two ago.

1 Like

Hi @Jeff,

Over here any objects that have transparency show their edges as well in TestShowShadowMap mode.
(most Recent daily V6 build). Is that something you see/can confirm on your end? If so, any chance for a fix?

This one shows a rendered mode with Skylight and Sun shadows, with per-layer materials. White box has Layer’s red color and some transparency in Custom material type.

Ugh… ok thanks, I’ll check it out…

Do you know if this just started happening with the latest SR?

-Jeff

I’d like to say yes, because I have been using it before on various files and haven’t noticed it, but unfortunately can’t be 100% sure as I don’t remember if they had transparencies. But my guess would be it’s a fairly new problem.

–jarek

I’m not seeing this problem here @Jarek

Can you please post a model and display mode settings (if they’re not the defaults).

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Here is the model and Rendered (Rendered-based custom) mode the file uses. Please note it happens is other modes with shadows as well. As soon as the object’s display has some transparency.

It would also be nice if dots and annotations did not show in that mode…

TestShowShadowMap.zip (81.7 KB)

@Jeff - to add to the confusion, in V5 TestShowShadowMap keeps all the edges on here, in Rendered mode (mode attached: Rendered_V5.ini (11.3 KB)

Hi @jeff

over here, the _TestShowShadowMap does not work in Technical mode (or Technical-engine-likes: Pen, Artistic…) FYI - I know this is a hidden feature but if it is an easy switch… you know :wink:

thanks

–Jarek