PC upgrade recommendation

I’m running into issues with some large 3D models I have to edit.

Besides 3D modelling our main activity is CAM.

My current setup is:
Windows 10
CPU: Intel i7-6700 @ 3.40Ghz
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: NVidia K2200 8GB

What should I upgrade first?

Video card. The rest looks solid.

Any recommendations? Do I need more video ram?

Whatever your budget allows. GTX 1080, RTX 2080. Do you max out on your video card memory right now?

What are the “issues”? Display speed or something else?

Not sure what this means, but the “3D” graph seems to be spiking, not the memory. Also looks like I only have a 4GB GPU, I always assumed it was 8GB.

Very slow framerate with this particular model. Trying to select and edit the model takes forever. Rhino greys out & stops responding, although I think sometimes it’s still computing in the background.

This model has almost 44 million polygons.

Can you turn half of the stuff off and work on the other half to increase performance? Are you on R6?

Polygons? Is this a mesh model or is that just the display mesh?

If it’s a mesh model composed of many separate meshes, you can try joining them into one (if your workflow allows it). That will speed up the display considerably.

If it’s a NURBS model you could try reducing the display mesh quality to reduce the number of polygons.

By turn off , you mean hide? That’s difficult in this case, since it’s just one big open mesh. Our I could try using clipping planes, I’m not sure if that increases preformance.

It’s just that everything slows down, so even setting a clipping plane would be a pain

It’s a mesh model, the polygons are already joined. I used the PolygonCount command to get that number, to get a general idea of the size of the model.

So I just found out the Thread optimalisation has been turned off for Rhino in Nvidia configuration screen? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Looks like some other user on this computer changed it manually, because the setting is in bold font… Does that make any sense to any of you?

Also should I switch it to Auto or On ?

Edit: Also turns out I only have 4GB GPU RAM