PBR materials and WIP rendering feedback

I see that this wasn’t addressed in that other thread you refer to, so, I’d just mention that this is on the list as RH-56446 - which is marked as visible to developers only…
-wim

1 Like

There is a big difference between copying other company’s solutions and finding your own solutions based on a good understanding of current best practices. I’m pretty sure that your customers would much prefer something that’s better than the best to something that’s better than nothing.

In situations where current industry practice is more than satisfactory it really makes sense to adopt it for the sake of standardization. That’s why most automobiles have the same arrangement of hand and foot controls worldwide.

Most major auto companies have entire departments devoted to driving and disassembling competitive products to keep their engineers and designers abreast of what’s most pleasing to the market. McNeel may not be in a position to do that, but you should certainly encourage your customers with good knowledge of other products to give their opinions and pay attention when they do.

2 Likes

:innocent: Yup!

1 Like

Hello,

I admit that for my part, I was confused when I discovered the PBR panel of Rhino 7.

I have been using PBR in several software for some time. things have remained consistent across software.

Rhino made that difference.

In fact, to be honest, continuing like this would make me think of right-clicking selection in Blender, going against general user habits.

So why not try to please everyone. Have a “Full Material PBR” material and presets displaying only the useful parameters “PBR Metallic”, “PBR Fabric”, “PBR Glass”

Looks like old Rhino materials in PBR version.

It’s just an idea.

jmv.

Spot-on curated industry targeted libraries - e.g. surface finishes for ID, building materials for Arch, metals for jewelers - those are wonderful to have. Rather efficacious with a significant portion of work.

Ability to get under the hood and create…hell yea too! Someone has to be empowered to do it when the need arises and skill exists.

Now, digging into my favorite cliché bag - you can’t please all the people all the time - what’s an organization to do?

Leverage humanity? (AKA open source :wink: ). Focus on making such powerful with skillful integration and search. Just sayin…

1 Like

Again, no better way to empower than giving a starting point of really well made materials. By professionals.

‘Leveraging humanity’, ‘volunteering’, ‘work for exposure’, ‘open source’… they are all cop out for:
‘We don’t want to do this work’, ‘we don’t want to pay the best people to do their best work’, ‘shitty work is good enough’, ‘this is just not important enough for us’ …and other forms of deflecting addressing a problem that needs to be addressed, by McNeel IMO.

Related: how well is RealDrawings open source going? Is humanity properly leveraged there? Do we have multi-sheet view yet? Masters in sheets? sheets<>PDF import export? Snapshot support in Details? According to the wishful ‘open source = hard work gets done magically by others’ thinking, all this and more should already be implemented, right?

BTW @ec2638, you misquoted me on the… “This has been solved by Keyshot” by then adding a link to their ’Cloud library’.

I was talking about the professionally curated library that ships with Keyshot, no the garbage smorgasbord mess that amateurs upload to the cloud.

So swap my comment about ‘what do to’ and put it out of context followed by a link of a video of ‘what NOT to do’.

OK @gustojunk, you’re certainly the unequivocal authority on what you meant. Never sought to intentionally misquote you. Apologies if you took it that way. Thanks for the clarity.

How’s this:

I think KS does it well. I love their professionally curated library, use it all the time, and believed I instantly knew what you were referencing and wanted to support that. I like their custom material controls. I like an integrated way for users to share/search/use materials - which by nature will include garbage and diamonds-in-the-rough. And these three are in order of preference. Yes, I want it all but will take what I can get.

Looking forward to the continued improvements to native Rhino rendering - so I might eventually use it more, less KS…

Yes, I have a (render) dream…

2 Likes

will you be able to export a mesh with PBR materials as glTF ?

Certainly at some point in the future, yes.

1 Like

We have now completed all of the tasked involved in fixing the issues brought up in this thread. PBR performance should be much better in the next WIP.

6 Likes