PBR Material tutorial for Rhino 7 WIP

Hi.
Maybe I’m wrong, but why does the orientation of the texture change after having fillet an object.
The three objects are the same duplicate and then made the fillet.

Another question, why if I change the display mode from rendered to raytraced the bump go away?
In the two images there is the same material.

I did some experimenting. I see that the regular existing materials look fine:

I think this is becasue the default mapping type in Box Mapping WCS.

But the Physically Based materials set the default Mapping to Mapping Channel 1. ANd the results are less predictable. Yet, If I set mapping to Box WCS with physically based material, then the results are predictable:

I am still not exactly clear why the results you are getting are changing so much. Can you send us the model?

I would like to see the type of mapping is setup on the objects?

1 Like

Hi.
Thanks for the reply and clarifications.
I did some tests to try and understand the new features of Rhino 7 and I really like it.
The result looks great. :grinning:

You are doing a great job.

Test.zip (2.9 MB)

No more volunteering Kyle.

This should be done professionally, by someone who has the know-how, time, expertise and availability to do this work properly. This also includes getting the system’s features developed correctly so this work can be done right.

Having things done this way is not a freebie, it’s not a quick job, and it’s not cheap, but it’s usually a wise investment.

I suggest you guys ask @Holo if he’s available, and get him to quote you a project for it. His head is already in the space: PBR materials and WIP rendering feedback

You could do this yourself too of course, or you guys could do it together. He also seems to me the only one that has both experience and willingness to put up with Raytrace/Cycles. So McNeel could have a really good chance here to have experienced designer/s to design the system, and then work with their own experienced developers to develop those designs/requests.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: It’s time you guys stop relying on amateur, improvisational, side-project, divided-attention, and volunteer work for Important parts of your own development. McNeel has a proven 20 year track record that this approach has continuously failed miserably, on repeated attempts, when it comes to rendering and visualization. And I see the same behaviors and approach still taking place.

Like Einstein once said: The definition of insanity for him is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results from it.

Best,

G

2 Likes

Yeah, that is interesting. Your model recreates the problem, that is great. Somethign is different with the PBR materials. I will report it.

RH-56498 is fixed in the latest WIP

I have my pbr materials “ripped” but I don’t know how to fix it. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Instead of displacement use bump or normal map.

Thanks, that worked. Makes the workflow a bit less fluid since it’s the default when importing the zip-files. Is this a bug that will be fixed?

It is not a bug, but rather an unfortunate side-effect of mesh structure of Rhino. Hard edges like your Box generate unwelded mesh geometry. Since these edges are not welded a displacement texture will cause these gaps. To get around it you can extract the render mesh with _ExtractRenderMesh, then select and weld the hard edges. For this type of geometry though it is probably better to go with bump or normal maps.

Hi,

I´ve been searching for a while now and maybe I´m just dumb or my cookies are already taking the wrong preferences but is there anything explaining the Rhino 7 PBR tabs one by one in some comprehensible manner?

Many thanks

Google site rhino3d:Rhino PBR tabs

“Thanks! I found exactly what I was looking for by googling the exact same thing I googled for the past hour.” - a fitting response to your joke I´d suppose? That´s what I get for working on sunday…

*I´m editing this in case you actually had a good intention because I still have faith in the Rhino comunity. This is what I get when I click your link. As you can see there´s nothing relevant to the question I posted. Could you mabe provide a direct link if you actually have one?

Not a joke…just trying to help. :slightly_frowning_face:
You didn’t say where you searched… :man_facepalming:
edit…sure didn’t expect your response :roll_eyes:
Be safe :mask:

1 Like

Do you mean the entries in the Physically Based material?

They follow pretty much the PBR definitions out there in the world. Rhino PBR is the roughness/metallic model.

Since our Rhino Render and Raytraced engine is Cycles you can look at

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/shader/principled.html

It is very close to the same, with maybe the most notable exception that Cycles transmission is called in Rhino opacity.

2 Likes