Patch tool

Hello. Plasticity came out recently and its patch tool is amazing. You can literally select the connection type from g0 to g2 of each face. And it works quite cleanly and well. Plasticity is quite young, but even this works much better.

The question is, will there be updates to the patch tool? I know that Xnurbs exist, but paying as much as half a rhino license costs is somehow strange. At this stage I am in the trial version. And roughly speaking, the patch tool only seems useful if you have a fairly flat model with a hole, then it works well. But with everything else, it seems useless.

1 Like

Patch command in Plasticity 1.2 (7:17-8:22): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cUItnZF1II

(Rhino BlendSrf command can handle two surfaces only.)

2 Likes

Hi -

We currently have 22 open issues for the patch tool. None of these are on the list of things that will be worked on in the immediate future.
-wim

This is strange, this one thing alone could save users from purchasing an additional addon.

1 Like

The “Patch” tool in Rhino haven’t been updated for more than two decades, which is pity, because every major NURBS surfacing program in the business have a much better patch tool. “Xnurbs” is basically showing you what the “Patch” tool in Rhino should have been.

2 Likes

This is actually the problem. Developers most likely do not want to touch this tool, because it is quite difficult to create. In general, we can only pray to God that the developers will turn their attention to this at this point.

1 Like

I’m not sure that it’s too difficult to create, because multiple programmers already proved that they are able to make sophisticated patch tools in just several months or a year. I believe that there are more than capable programmers at “McNeel”, but maybe the main issue is that they are given different tasks and the “Patch” tool of Rhino is somewhere at the very bottom of their priority list.