Patch command for Mac surface

I was following Kyle Houchens’ earbud tutorial. Of course it was done with Rhino for PC. Things were going well until I got to the cap command. I tried the same settings for the bulge but didn’t get the same results. Is it just the difference in the Mac version?

I meant “Patch”

for something like that, it’s unlikely you’re seeing a difference between Rhino for windows and mac…

(and if you are, it’s possible you’ve encountered a bug)

something might be different, even slightly different, between your model and the tutorial’s model prior to Patching.

you could upload your version at the point just prior to patching and someone could have a look at it just to verify it’s ok and/or what should be done differently (or to see if there’s something weird going on with the mac version)

Jeff

Thanks for getting back to me. I created a slender and tried all
combinations of the patch Surface Options Box. Here is what the result
looked like:
Lonnie

Try:

1. Decreasing the stiffness to 1 or even 0.1
  2. Increasing the number of U and V spans

There’s no reason to use a patch for this. A simple revolve will produce a 1000 times better result. Rhino’s patch command is next to worthless when matching to continuity.

1 Like

1001 :smiley:

Or a loose loft.

I know there are many workarounds, but I can’t believe that the patch tool is supposed to work that way. I’m just trying to duplicate the same steps that Kyle did in his earbud demo video.

Lonnie

heh, that’s a 40 minute video :wink:

what time in the video is the patch command being used ?

Jeff

Wow I’m impressed that you would bother looking at the video. But if you are determined, it’s about 3/4 through.

And the whole intent of the video was to demonstrate the Rhino tools. I was just trying to figure out what I did wrong.

But l appreciate all the support.

Lonnie

you’re drawing at a different scale than Kyle is…

for example:

this file is in inches and the cylinder is about 40" diameter… it’s giving results similar to what you’re getting (not as poofy of a bulge)

(note curvature near asterisk)

this one is in a millimeter based template with the cylinder at something nearer to real-life size… about 15mm diameter…
same settings in the dialogs except this one looks more like Kyle’s…

so yeah, draw the earbuds at their actual size to get similar results as the tutorial is showing :wink:

Thanks Jeff.

Lonnie