Partially split mesh for Kangaroo?

unhandled

Hey all !
I am looking to make something along the lines of the hunch of the bulbasaur / alien egg / demogoron mouth.
Basically i want to apply a Pressure goal on the mesh and make the mesh that’s in the pic inflate a bit while the top parts open up like petals.
Therefore I made the points that are high-lightened to be anchors but I need to split the mesh along the creases in such a way that it separates into 5 leaves/petals at the top. Any pointers on how to achieve this? Many thanks!

(Daniel Piker) #2

Hi Zoster,
You’ll need to model your mesh with an actual separation between the petals to avoid the vertices getting combined in the solver. This can be a very small value, just make sure that your tolerance setting on the solver component is lower though.
In terms of actually modelling the starting mesh, I’d say

• make one petal where the edges match the 5-fold symmetry lines
  • horizontally scale in the vertices a small amount for the top part that you want to open
  • array this radially
  • join these meshes into one

(you might need to call the Rhino command AlignMeshVertices to make sure the vertices at the bottom get joined properly, but use a distance less than the amount you moved the top vertices by)