Parametric surface with python script for 123d make

Hi!
I’m looking for some kickstarts… I’d like to create a parametric surface volume with python and export in stl or obj to 123d make sectioning.
I’m new to rhino and 3d world in general but I’m comfortable with python.
Does anyone can advice me something?

Well, welcome to 3D-land!

A 'parametric surface volume’ is a pretty broad request; there are a lot of ways to do that. Below is a simple way to create some geometry. If you want something really parametric (sliders, dimensions, etc.) you’ll need to look into Grasshopper, but that’s a whole different issue.

Here’s one way to go about it. This program asks for 4 points, creates an interpolated curve from them, then rotates that curve to make a solid. The code doesn’t do anything fancy and if you know Python, you shouldn’t have any problem; the Rhinoscriptsyntax API is easy to use. I always keep a tab open to the API docs ( http://4.rhino3d.com/5/ironpython/index.html) and what’s great about modeling in Rhino by hand is also great in Python: when you want to change your model in some way, Rhino usually has a method close at hand.

Here’s how to run the attached file:
– Drop this file in your Rhino scripts directory ( “~/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/Scripts” on a Mac, not sure where on Windows)
– Paste
! -RunPythonScript "basic_param_solid.py"
into the command field and hit enter; start picking points in a Front or Right view.
basic_param_solid.py (1.1 KB)