PackSubDFaces doesn't work (Rhino 7 BETA, 7.0.20287.16003)

PackSubDFaces doesn’t work (Rhino 7 BETA, 7.0.20287.16003)
If it is possible to select a sub object for the packe, it seems appropriate

And that the "MergeAllCoplanarFaces "command reduces the output subd size and we do not see the expected result
1 Like

what are you expecting to happen? It appears all is working as designed.

you ran pack, and it looks like it returned 6 faces…what would you expect it to do differently?

coplanar faces only works on… coplanar faces… these faces are not planar to begin with so there would be no result.

what am I missing here?

ok all right! but why “Pack SubD” dosen’t work?
Basically, what should this command do?

1 Like

It doesn’t work.

Thanks all, I filed this as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-61053 to be investigated.

I think you may be thinking that SubD face packing changes the topology of the SubD, it does not. It is instead a way of previewing and customizing how ToNURBS will create a Brep and where the surface seams will be. If you add creases to a SubD, this will alter the face packing as pack areas cannot travel across seams. If you add a crease and then remove a crease and want to reset the packing, PackSubDFaces can be used.

If you instead wanted to merge faces of a SubD, use MergeFaces or MergeCoplanarFace or MergeAllCoplanarFaces. I hope that helps explain it. In the future (past v7), we will likely offer more than one algorithm to control face packing too.

PackSubDFaces command should be renamed DoNothing command because it does nothing.

Working command.

There is no difference between unpacked and packed faces in your video. The following screenshot is more useful because it shows clear difference.

SetPerFaceColorByFacePack seems to be integral part of the PackSubDFaces command, but it is not explained in the PackSubDFaces documentation. There is a link to the PackSubDFaces documentation, but I am certain that most Rhino users ignore the link.

You just don’t get it right what the PackSubDFaces command is for.

I understand your video now, but I believe that there is another reason - to simplify the quad grid after some faces have been deleted.

To do this you need the MergeCoplanarFaces command, the PackSubDFaces team doesn’t do that.
You can only use the SubDFacePack command to delete an existing face packaging and reset it to the default face packaging.

Simplifying the quad grid and merging faces are different things. The merging command is called MergeCoplanarFace.

What do you mean by simplifying a quad grid?
What do you want to get?
What is it for?

You can see it in my picture.

simple polysurfaces (ToNURBS)

It is called PackSubDFaces command.

:wink:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-61053