OT: Neon to the test

Here is my lastest fooling around with the latest build.
Neon -ViewCaptureToClipboard with 12 passes and ordinary Rhino render. I have to say that this is really going the right way! Neon will be suited for complex projects when adding/removing lights and hiding/unhiding parts become snappy. I look forward to that.

@andy I located the memory bloat issue, too many parts had gotten the decal assigned to them. Removing the decals from these parts released a lot of ram. Is a decal eating up more ram than projected material with an image? And can anything be done to optimize this furter?

@Andy
Do you know why the Rhinorender and the OpenGL looks so different from the Neon image? The reflections seems to be too strong.

(Andrew le Bihan) #3

Without the model, I’m only guessing.

Do your reflective materials also have a white diffuse color? If so, Neon handles them differently (ie - correctly :slight_smile: ) The way it’s looking right now, V6 will correct this bug in RR and the display.

• Andy

(Andrew le Bihan) #4

Decals take up a lot of memory. Especially if you have the resolution pushed up. A dedicated Neon shader to do it would help, but that’s not ready yet.

Ok, great to know.
To me it does not make sense that the decal would use more ram or require unique settings too look ok, compared to what we are used to regarding images put into the color channel. Or is that using as much memory? If so then that would have been a better choice in situations like these.

(Andrew le Bihan) #6

Jorgen

I know it doesn’t make much sense to you. It’s crystal clear to me because I know how it is implemented!

I consider the decal situation in Neon to be a bug that will need to be fixed. Until then, decals will require a lot of memory.

• Andy

And that’s usually how it is with advanced technology! Understanding and dealing with this aspect of user/deveoper/technology gap is one of the reasons why Apple had such success, and why I love programs like Neon, even after 20 years of 3D visualization. I just want to focus on the goal, and not the road towards the goal :smile:

Again, thanks for your feedback.

(Andrew le Bihan) #8

Totally agreed.

Get a Caustic card, and Neon gets REALLY snappy! Loving mine. http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/Web-Exclusives/2013/Reflective-Sculpture-Design-Accelerated-with-Vis.aspx

Does the hide/unhide speed up with that card?
And will they make a USB3 plugincard for laptops in the future :wink:

I found a bug in Neon, if I give an object a material and then set that object to not cast shadows, and tweak the material, then it casts shadows. So I have to toggle the “cast shaddows” on and off again for Neon to behave propperly.

-Jørgen

Sorry, just saw this… been crazy busy. Yes, everything is snappier. Hide/unhide is still slow with a complex model, but it’s certainly faster with the card.

Thanks!