Osnap missing on Status bar and unable to find 4 Viewort option

Hi!

I’m working my way through the Level 1 Training Manual (stupidly I printed out the Rhino for Windows but I have a mac) I am having a couple of problems.

I could not find the 4 Viewports button or the Split Vertical in the the Viewport layout in the View menu. The only option coming up is Maximise viewport.

I am now editing this post as bizarrely I closed and reopened my window and there is some snapping going on so most of the paragraph below does not apply anymore but I still cannot see an Osnap button the the status bar.

I cannot find a way to put the Osnap button on the status bar (I have enabled Osnap in the modelling preferences bit), I can however see a list on the left of my screen saying End, Near, Point etc… Not sure if this relates to Osnap or not but when I click End and Midpoint (as instructed by the tutorial) there does not seem to be any snapping going on. I’m pretty sure this feature would be in the Windows and Mac version?!

Sorry for the confusing post and many thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Nicola

According to this list, the 4View command is available in the WIP and will be available in the 5.4 update.

As for the Osnaps, yes, that became a bit confusing :>. Is your question about docking the Osnap list to the status bar?

Hi! Thank you for your reply! What is WIP? Work in progress? Only frustrating as one of the Exercise files had the Right viewport missing and I couldn’t work out how to get it back.

Yes I cannot see how to make it appear next to the Grid Snap, Ortho, Planar etc… in the Status bar which is where it seems to be when I watch you tube tutorials… I have actually no idea how to toggle it on and off…

It randomly started working so I managed the Osnap excercise but when I moved on to the next exercise (SmartTrack) it stopped working again. Grrrrrrrrr I’m guessing I have some sort of glitch? I am using the free 90 day version of Rhino on a Mac and as I said I stupidly downloaded the Windows Manual (and exercise files!) so maybe this is causing a problem too…?

So sorry! I should know by now it’s usually human error! I didn’t seem to have the right layer selected! So the only issue left is how to get it to appear in the Status Bar! My bad!

1 Like

We might have to wait for a Mac user to chime in for that one. On Windows it’s just a matter of grabbing the list and moving it until it docks in place where you want. Could you post a picture of what you have and one of what you would like to have?

Thanks again for reply! The bottom left has the Osnap options but there is no button to toggle on and off… I think it’s supposed to be along where Grid Snap etc. are…?!

If you go back to the Learn page where you got the Rhino for Windows Level 1 book, please notice on the left side Table of Contents, there is a Rhino for Mac listing.
That has the tutorials you should be using so they match your interface.

you cant toggle them on and off quickly, for this you have to go to Rhino Preferences/Themes and check “include Osnaps in command sidebar” but you can toggle a separate window with ctrl U.

on mac you unfortunately have no option to include it into the status bar, all this is still very rigid and not thought through as i must repeat often and has never been heard.

1 Like

Thank you. I did see this but only after i printed the 240+ pages of the Windows level 1! I seem to be progressing alright through it despite the odd issue. What a shame the same features are not offered on Mac and Windows.

We’ll get there eventually… There will always be some differences due to the parallel universes Mac/PC, but the main functions should all be there in both at some point. The question is more on what will be available on the plug-in end of things.

–Mitch

1 Like

I don’t see it as a “shame”.
If we had decided to hold off on released Mac Rhino until it could do everything Windows Rhino could do, it would still not be released and the V6 Windows release would be years away.

We decided to release it narrowly focused on the needs of Industrial designers. In this way we could get it in front of users.

We did everything we could to make the limitations easy to find but that seems to not have been very successful.
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/rhino5wincommandsnotinrhino5mac

some may suspect that a lot of resources are going into the windows version and that the mac version will have to provide a mere compromise in several aspects till these a freed again. and knowing or better hoping that this will change after the release of V6 kept me personally pretty calm for a long time. the occasional rants which i had to leak are only what i couldnt hold in my pot. i have plenty more where that came from :wink:

finally the mac version shall get the same love and all the tools and also options the UI of Win Rhino has to offer, if this is not going to happen i can promise you guys i will stop working stop studying i will sit in here every night and day and will open a new topic and will rant what my fingers can hold :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The bulk of the V6 development work has been done to make the Rhino tools platform independent.
This means that the tools and enhancements that show up in Windows V6 will be in V6 Mac too.

Mac Rhino will not have the same U/I as Windows Rhino., That is by design.

i didn’t address the UI difference between Mac and Win but the options which windows has to offer which as good as they are are not available on mac. if you are telling me that the mac version will always have less possibilities, then you probably might as well tell all the mac users to throw away their 2nd class computers and unfortunately the intentionally by design 2nd class applications, Rhino for Mac to name one.

That absolutely is not what I was trying to convey.
The whole reason Mac Rhino exists is to create a NURBS surface modeling tool for designers that would not consider using a Windows application.
A big chunk of that has to do with U/I.
Rhino for Mac will always look different and behave in what our Mac developers say is the way Mac users want it to act.
If you’re happy with Windows Rhino, then Mac Rhino is not intended for you.
If you like they way Mac Rhino looks and feels, then cool, you are the type of designer that Mac Rhino is intended to serve.

Hi John,

I’m sorry I really didn’t mean to be inflammatory. As I said, even though I’m going through the wrong training manual I am progressing through well. I think this particular problem was in the main part due to me being new to Rhino. I did not understand at that point that the options to the lower left side of my screen were actually the OSnap commands (which are obviously very east to access!) and the reason the “snapping” was not working was because I wasn’t on the right layer. I was expecting some differences and from my side (very much a beginner) I am getting a real kick out of learning Rhino.

Excellent!
If you haven’t done this sort of modeling before, it’s a little weird, but once you start “seeing” what you’re modeling in terms of surfaces, and not the physical objects they represent, then a lot of oddities go away and things make more sense.

I’m glad you’re having fun with it.

hi @John_Brock you persistently are trying to talk about something which i actually did not address at least not in this context which you seem to be squashing it into. maybe i did not express that well, but before we loop into infinity i just hope that Rhino for Mac will catch up in a lot of things. whatever difference you think should justify the mac version being less capable than the windows version i would see as giving the mac version less value. if you say all options and abilities will merge into the mac version then i could not be happier.

I think you misunderstand.
CURRENTLY, Mac Rhino IS less capable and that is reflected in the lower commercial license price.
As Mac Rhino gets closer to the capabilities of Windows Rhino, the price WILL go up.
Our intent is for both products to have the same capabilities and same price, and hopefully, be able to release updates for both platforms at the same time.
Those are goals, not promises, and do not come with any implied release dates.
That said, there will always be a few minor differences that are out of our control. Also, the primary development work will happen in Windows since that’s where our development resources are centered.
The are a lot more highly educated (PhD) Windows programmers than Mac developers.

this is all what i need to know, not mac windows gibberish :wink: