Orwellian license terms

This is google direct link to Rhino. I found this agreement kind Orwellian and fear mongering . None the less I like the software. But I wonder if the genius who wrote the agreement realizes that people can merely do a screen grab and trace on that instead of using this software.

End User Agreement (Free Products)

To download this software you must meet the following export eligibility requirements and accept the following license terms.
Export Eligibility Requirements. Please confirm:
I am not a citizen, national or resident of, and am not under the control of, the government of any country to which the United States has prohibited export of technical information.
I will not download or otherwise export or re-export the software, directly or indirectly, to the above-prohibited countries nor to citizens, national or residents of those countries.
I am not listed on the United States Department of Treasury list of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Terrorists, and Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers, nor am I listed on the United States Department of Commerce Table of Denial Orders.
I will not download or otherwise export or re-export the software, directly or indirectly, to persons on the above-mentioned lists.
I will not use the software for, and will not allow the software to be used for, any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, for the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons of mass destruction.
I confirm the accuracy of the statements above

This is most like being required by the US government for all US software vendors - no?

Where did you find this anyway? I couldn’t find that section you quoted in any license agreement on the McNeel website under “licence agreements”…

–Mitch

(John Brock) #3

I think you’re right Mitch. There are government regulations for software as well as the common-sense legal requirements. I know when we create or modify these agreements, we are very sensitive to making them short, clear, and legal.

Quoting parts of your post leads to several US based sites. So probably a law requirement there.

Combining this quote with either “Rhino”, “Rhinoceros” or “McNeel”, google returns only one result: this thread here… you sure, this is related with Rhino?

(John Brock) #5

Here’s a link to our current license agreement:
http://files.na.mcneel.com/rhino/5.0/docs/rh50_eula.pdf

Hey all this isn’t from McNeel, guess I wasn’t clear enough it’s a google earth Rhino plugin.
http://amcbridge.com/?q=CADtoEarth
thus my reference to screen capturing.
I like the idea of the software just the licensing took me by surprise.
RM

Yeah, well, obviously this is the States where you can sue Starbucks for not printing “hot content” on their coffee cups when you spill the stuff on your lap. Sounds like a good idea to include something like the above in the EULA if you potentially could use the software to create dangerous stuff…

I don’t mean to imply anything but a few days ago someone on the Grasshopper forums asked about calculating rocket trajectories.

(Willem Derks) #8

Sorry, could not resist.

-Willem

(John Brock) #9

What could possibly go wrong?

I built a trebuchet once… does that count as dangerous? :slight_smile:

(used it to launch people instead of giant rocks but…)

(John Brock) #11

Launch live people or dead people?
Are we talking felony assault or a Monte Python bit?

they were alive… Johnny Knoxville and co.

so yeah, basically Monte Python :wink: