OrientOnSrf ceases when I pick ref point

Hi,

V5
I have a pipe (created using pipe command on a line normal to surface, the line 50/50 in and out of surface, as is the resulting pipe) and wish to copy it to various places on my surface having it perp to surface for each copy, halfway in and out of surface each time.

I use OrientOnSrf

1)select object and hit enter, I select the pipe and hit enter
2)BasePoint (On Surface) command help says O for if object already on surface, which it is, in fact 50% into surface) so I hit O and enter
3) Surface to orient on, so I pick surface, a momentary flash of yellow of only part of my surface, it doesnt go yellow and stay yellow. Surface is 5 joined into one, works fine for project, also tried the mergeSrf, still a momentary flash of yellow )
4) Base Point so I use mid on the normal line the pipe was made on, it is giving me the halfway positio as its been told ‘O’ so thats ok.
5) Reference Point for Scaling and Rotating…not so sure on this as I dont intend to rotate or scale it, its just a pipe sticking out of surface, my best thought is end of the line I just mentioned. use End Osnap on that line, which is obviously the centre outer end of my pipe.

and the command ceases !!!

I try again, and with Cen Osnap the base point is middle of cylinder, then for step 5 I pick outer cylinder edge and the pick is the outer cylinder centre, makes sense,
but command fails again ,

trying again and again at this, If I do get a dialog box appear and hit ok on defaults, my pipe copies at an incorrect angle, but the original vanishes. I need to keep the original where it is.

What am I doing wrong, simple task, curving surface with a pipe command object half in half out and perp to surface.

Steve

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Steve- OrientOnSrf needs input for 3 points - the base point, the reference point and a normal. By default the nomral is the CPlane Z but with OnSrf, the normal is the surface normal. It sounds like you’re setting the reference point to the normal as well, so there is no third point to define a plane. Set the reference point off to one side of the line. For a line the distance to the reference point from the first point does not matter as long as it is more than zero.

-Pascal

(Margaret Becker) #3

Just as a reminder, several joined surfaces are no longer a “surface.” This object is now a polysurface. Surfaces and polysurfaces act differently. Commands that work on surfaces only cannot cross the joined edges of a polysurface. That’s why “only part” of your surface highlights. What is highlighting is the part of the polysurface that can be considered a surface.