Optimize Reinforcement - Quantity

unhandled

(Mathieu Côté) #1

Hi, I am using the OptiReinf component with the OptiCroSec component as suggested to obtain the optimized mass of concrete and reinforcing steel for a 10 meter by 10 meter shell supported on two sides, see attached file. Under conventional loading, the reinforcement ratio (mass of steel over mass of concrete) is about 0.34 which is incredibly high, what could be the cause of such high quantity of reinforcing steel?

Thank you,

Mathieu

Karamba 1.3.1
Rhinoceros 6

Optimize Reinforcement.gh (38.3 KB)

Dear Mathieu,
thanksfor your bug-report. In the calculation of the reinforcement mass there seems to be a factor 100 error. The layer thicknesses seem to be OK though (see attached file: Optimize Reinforcement_cp.gh (37.8 KB)
).
Best,
Clemens

Dear Mathieu,
instead of the mass in kilogram the weight of the reinforcement is output in Newton. This results in a factor 10 error. I have corrected it in the current build of Karamba3D.

Best,
Clemens

(Mathieu Côté) #4

Dear Clemens,
After further testing the mass is indeed multiplied by the gravity.

However, when further testing, I noticed that when the mesh is exploded before feeding it to the MeshToShell component, the mass of steel is multiplied by a factor of approximately 30. Also, the thickness of the cross-section is doubled for each face as seen after the Disassemble component, however, the mass of concrete remains unchanged. What could explain this behaviour?

Mathieu
Optimize Reinforcement Exploded.gh (47.3 KB)

Dear Mathieu,
thanks for your bug report. I will have a look at that.
Best,
Clemens

Dear Mathieu,
there is a bug in Karamba3D 1.3.1: The ‘Mass’-output at the ‘Optimize Reinforcement’-component is wrong in case of uniform reinforcement throughout a shell. The concrete cross section is counted then as reinforcement in this case.
I have removed the bug in the current build.
Thanks again for your bug report! I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,
Clemens