Opening old saved project from "About menu" over write it with the current project

Hi,
I can say that this issue could be even worse if there was no a backup version of my project that i’m heavily working on,
Anyway here’s what exactly happened step by step

System Info

Rhino 6 SR19 2019-10-22 (Rhino 6, 6.19.19295.01001, Git hash:master @ 0af62045bd35259d4c2367dbf7f9ef94ded29299)
License type: Educational, build 2019-10-22
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-4-2016 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-9-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 425.31

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-9-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.2531
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.19.19295.1001
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.19.19295.1001
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Users\dahma\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Lumion LiveSync for Rhino (839d6175-32d1-4ffe-a0a4-b7fb43cf0ff5)\2019.6.17.913\Lumion\Rhino 6.0\LumionPlugin.rhp “Lumion LiveSync for Rhino”
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.19.19295.1001
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.19.19295.1001
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
D:\Program Files\Mcneel\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

1. Opened Rhino to get into a new empty project (I didn’t want to do that but I always open Rhino from its Icon in order to open last saved files from Welcome/loading screen, but I missed it so I got into a new default empty project so no previous files were opened)

2. I opened “about menu” (Help -> About Rhinoceros -> Opened a project) in order to open my last saved project

3. Rhino asks me if I want to save the new empty project before closing it and opening my previous project

4. I misclicked on yes, then it asks me to choose a location, I hit Cancel immediately and went back to “About Menu” and I noticed that the empty new project was replaced with my previous project that has not been opened at all through this process.

I think this is serious situation that could cause anyone to loose the work if there is no backup files for some reason.

This sounds very strange. If you didn’t actually go through with the save (you said you clicked “Cancel”), I highly doubt that anything got overwritten - there’s no way that it can do that without you actually mistakenly saving something over an existing file - on top of that, you should always get a second “File exists - do you want to overwrite?” message. Have you actually checked to see if the original project file is still intact?

It is possible that the MRU file list on the About page is getting confused, but that is not the same as overwriting a file.

Additionally:

I don’t understand this:

If absolutely nothing has been done in a blank file, Rhino will not ask you to save the file when you want to open something else. You have to have done some action that modifies the blank file for Rhino (Windows) to prompt you to save.

I tried following your steps exactly and I cannot reproduce your problem. If I draw say, a line in the new blank file before asking to open an old project from the MRU list, it asks me if I want to save the file. If I click Cancel, nothing is saved, the old project is still in my MRU list and hasn’t been touched.

Thank you, @anon80626330!
I was able to reproduce this and logged the issue as RH-55408
-wim

2 Likes

Whoa… I didn’t get that happening here, but I guess I didn’t follow the steps exactly. I would not have believed that was possible… and without getting the Windows overwrite file warning to boot.
:confounded:

Me either. I guess that’s why Wim was so quick to bugify it. :grinning:

Thank you!