Opening Heavy CAD Files

I was just curious about the gpu tessellation - I would try with that slider all thew way left, or un-checked, if you have not.

-Pascal

Type PackageManager in the command line and search for Clipper

Turning down/Off the GPU Tessellation did nothing?

The variables here is Video Driver and Rhino Version. Lets start with Rhino, you’re on 7.1, current version is 7.21

Ah yes! I’ve been ignoring that message for a while. I’ve now upgraded to the latest version and it’s working as expected. So was this all due to my video card driver incompatibility with 7.1? The tessellation on/off didn’t do anything btw.

I’ve installed clipper but don’t know how to access it?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello Adam,

I also installed Clipper but likewise, do not yet see a way to access it.

Thank you,

Andy

Hey Andy, I just took another look at this. It seems to be solely accessed via grasshopper. You’ll see a new tab titled ‘clipper’. I’m not sure if there’s a rhino command.

This was probably due to the 20 months of bug fixes and performance improvements that went into service releases between 7.1 and 7.21.

1 Like

Strangely I never had this issue in previous releases - 4, 5 and 6. But I guess new versions come with new issues.

It’s really hard to say. In my experience it is one bug that we didn’t know about in an early service release that was specific to the type of model that you work with that was fixed.

Hello Adam,

Thank you. I see the tab.

Andy

I’ve noticed slowdown issues with AutoCAD DWG files opened in Rhino. Importing them works much better. The best way to resolve it (and least productive technique) is to explode ALL the blocks. I’m running the latest Rhino version 7.21 on a 32-core thread ripper and a 2080ti. Not sure if the issues are related but it seems to me Rhino may struggle with managing information inside blocks and the native DWG format puts it at a disadvantage relative to the importer’s translation.

Hi Michael -

Can you post or upload a DWG file that behaves like that?
-wim