Opening a download model

Hi,
I am trying to open 3d model from a library. I have 3DS,FBX,OBJ or MAX file format to choose from but none of them will show up on open or import command from Rhino. When I click on the file they open in Photoshop CC.
Any tips, Thanks
Shane

It seems as if the file extension is incorrect . To see the file extension you have to do the following steps:
Start Windows Explorer, you can do this by opening up any folder. Click Organize.Click Folder and search options. Click the View tab. Scroll down until you notice Hide extensions for known file types, un-check this line by clicking the check box. Note To hide file name extensions, check this line.Click OK.
If the file extension is correct , you can assign Rhino as default program to open this file typ.

Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.

Right-click the file you want to change and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open with or point to Open with and then click Choose default program.

Click the program you want to use to open the file.

Do one of the following:

If you want all files of that type to open in the same software program, select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

If you want only that file to open in the software program this one time, clear the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

regards

Rhino remembers the last opened file type.You need to change the Filetyp in the Opening dialog. There is a Dropdown Menu you can select all supported Filetypes.

Hi Shane-

if you are not seeing any ‘non-Rhino’ formats at all, it could be that these plug-ins have not registered correctly. You can see in PlugInManager (With show all plug-ins set)- normally there is pile of Import and Export plug-ins in there.

If you do not see these, try closing Rhino, then right click on the Rhino icon and choose ‘Run as Administrator’. Does that instance of Rhino work better? If so, please close and re-open Rhino normally- does it still show the file formats as expected, in SaveAs and Import and Export, etc?

If none of that helps, you can navigate in Windows Explorer to the Rhino installation Plug-ins folder ( e.g. C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 5 (64-bit)\Plug-ins ) and filter the view there for Rhino plug-ins (rhp files). Select all of the rhp files and drag them, all at once, onto an open Rhino window - this should load and register the plug-ins. Close and reopen Rhino.
Any better?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, I can now open the FBX file but the file opens and the object is fragmented into seerate objects (Object is a light bulb) out of their correct position, which I can put back together but I need the file to be 100% accurate.

Hi Chris, I followed your instructions and I can now open the FBX file but its fragmented.

Hi Pascal, I have now been able to get the files in all formats and 100% accurate. I made the simple mistake of dowloading a zip file and then not unzipping, so I was trying to open a file in a zipped folder.
thanks for the help
Shane

Hi Chris, I have now been able to get the files in all formats and 100% accurate. I made the simple mistake of dowloading a zip file and then not unzipping, so I was trying to open a file in a zipped folder.
thanks for the help
Shane