Open GL problem in SR10

Hi Jeff,
Yeah, too bad I didn’t test this out when I had the SR10 prerelease installed, it has been too much work lately. I’ll look into the backface settings and relese a fixed Holomark, no worries!

And thanks for finding a solution so fast!

I have never seen that behavior before, I’ll look into it.

Ok. I reinstalled Nvidia drivers, but Intel HD video driver, which i have downloaded from lenovo websites, is a tough issue. Every time i want to install new driver, laptop gives me a note “your computer is not able to install this driver” (or something of similar meaning). My Intel driver is 3 years old, the newest one is 2013 - downloaded directly from lenovo websites for T520 laptop model. Also my device manager dont want to update this driver…I think, it’s necessary.
Maybe windows reinstall will fix my problems…

Petr

The driver is necessary. You might consider uninstalling all the video drivers and then try to install the Intel, Optima and Nvidia drivers in that order.

I’m having trouble with nVidia and SR10 too.
I just reset my laptop and made a clean installation of everything on it. Rhino 5-64bit used to run smoothly, but now for no apparent reason the viewports sometimes get stuck. I rotate the view in Perspective and the viewport freezes, it doesn’t update. If I minimize and maximize it it refreshes.
Today I even got a message that some nVidia driver component had crashed and the app needed to close, I clicked Ok but Rhino didn’t close.

HP Elitebook 8700, Win7 64bit, 12Gb ram, Rhino 5 SR10, vRay 2, nVidia Quadro K1000M 2Gb

I’ve been experiencing Rhino-nVidia issues for quite a long time, I think you guys really need to work with nVidia to solve them once and for all.

I don’t have any problems with my 8570w and Quadro 2000M. There did appear to be some problems created by V-Ray (see the Holomark test threads), but I think there is a new version that fixed that.

–Mitch

I see this problem since a long time here. So far I know it was reported, so I don’t reported it again. Often only a viewport part behind a closed Rhino UI window is freezed. Quadro 6000 and latest drivers.

Drivers are up to date.
The latest vRay update even sends you to nVidia’s website to download the latest drivers. It reduced by a great deal the vRay crashes due to the video drivers, but Rhino’s workspace has become slow and not very smooth.

What version number does the Nvidia driver report? Be careful with Nvidia’s automatic update tool, it can lie.

Driver version 340.66

Funny thing is, on this machine I never had any viewport issues with Rhino before. The problem was with vRay, sometimes it would crash (and Rhino with it) because of issues with the video driver.
Now, after a full reset and clean install of everything, the Rhino viewports freeze pretty often but vRay stopped crashing for that reason.

Note that vRay now is hanging (but be patient and it doesn’t crash completely) because of issues with the connection to the license server…

@Helvetosaur, mine is an HP 8570W too, I mistyped it, but mine’s probably a bit older since it has the Quadro K1000M card.

Are you using Vray RT in the viewport? When you report Rhino viewport freeze, what are you doing at that time? What mode are they in?

I wonder if there is something with the render mesh that is now throwing it into a tizzy? Does it freeze in wireframe mode?

The Perspective view usually freezes in Wireframe mode only, and that’s the only view where I expeerienced the freezing so far.
It usually happens that I rotate the view and it only updates a small square in the top right corner, the rest of the view is frozen.

I’m not using vRay RT mode, I usually switch between wireframe, shaded and render preview.

Does it only happen if you have something selected?

That is the case with a computer I use at a customers. (Quadro 2000 on Win7)
If something is selected it can freeze and as you say only a small square updates.
I have not bug tracked it, but I often have multiple Rhino’s running, so that can be a factor.
It can happen when maximze.

The “fix” is to hit ESC twice. But then the selection is gone of course.
It never happens if nothing is selected.

Next time it happens I’ll try to notice and remember if I have something selected and how many Rhinos I have running.
And I’ll try the Esc key trick too.

It happened both when the viewport was maximized and when it was regular size (4 viewports).

Hi Jeff, I am using a special display mode for the paneling of yachts. It’s 80% transparent from the backface and shows the rendering material from the frontface. Like this you can watch in the ship from outside but if the camera is inside you’ll see the wall paneling. I guess its suffers from the same bug.

This is how it looks now:

Should look like this:

The display mode:
WBK.ini (10.4 KB)

thanks, Tobias

Hi Tobias,

It’s possible this is the same bug…however, the one Jorgen found really had to do with technical modes and how they work when materials and shaded surfaces are thrown into the mix.

I’ve imported your display mode, but so far it seems like things are working as expected. I’ll keep looking, but if you can throw an example together that shows the problem on your end, I can at least confirm the problem here using the exact same file and go from there… Since I’ve already fixed the problem, I’ll be able to tell if whether or not SR11 will fix your problem as well…and if not, I’ll definitely try to get this fixed in SR11 as well.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Here is a short video showing the problem: DisplayGlitch.mp4 (1.6 MB)

I’ll PM you the file for you to test

thanks, Tobias

could this also be causing part of the problem… http://www.legitreviews.com/windows-7-kb3004394-update-causes-driver-issues-many_155145

The dates seems to line up fairly well and it causes driver issues - different websites say it causes different things

Did this ever work for you? I don’t think this is related to the problem Jorgen found… It has more to do with how transparency works and the order in which things are drawn. None of that has changed in SR10, so I’m wondering if this ever used to work for you?

-J

If I read this well this seems to be just an issue when installing drivers, not in how previously installed driver work, so it shouldn’t be the culprit here.

thanks, Tobias