Online training for working/managing big projects in Rhino

Hi

I’m looking to become more proficient in managing big projects. For example:

• How to manage a big part consisting of multiple sub-parts
  • How to manage versions numbers and make sure a change in a sub-parts are always up to date in the main part
  • Best practices for version numbers
  • Best practices for naming and creating new layers.
  • Easy methods for making 2D technical drawings.

Many of those may not be Rhino specific , but I’m hoping someone could point me in the direction of an online training of some sort

2 Likes

I surmise a college career wouldn’t even reveal the trade secrets you’ve listed. I suppose it would depend where you go to school and how lucky you get.

But from my experience, I had to learn the secrets to all those things through decades of hard work and dedication.

Most of it is derived from your own volition.

Depending on the software, the ‘directories’ to where those things are located, are of the upmost concern in terms of management of the data.

In terms of Rhino, you’d probably want to make use of ‘blocks’, something I’ve actually ignored for 15 yrs or more. I’ve simply never relied on blocks, I guess I don’t do enough large assemblies of hundreds of parts or more. If I did, I’d probably use a program like ‘Inventor’ and I wouldn’t use blocks. But in Rhino that’s what I surmise as a potential option.

I’ve been thinking more about using blocks lately, because I’ll be getting more into large assemblies in the future, but eventually I might need more powerful software. Until then, blocks might help.

But without geometric constraints and dimensional constraints, large assemblies of ‘dumb’ objects, doesn’t really make sense to me. Objects without constraint data, are referred to as ‘dumb’ – at least that’s what I learned way back when I was in college. It makes sense to me.

Alot of it other than maintaining proper ‘directories’, is your own volition.

Rhino isn’t the best program for this. Your better off using half a dozen other CAD’s or using pencil and paper – if you want ‘easy methods’. Otherwise Rhino makes this process very frustrating and very limited.

You’ll need a background in ‘hand drafting’ and maybe some GD&T, to even begin to approach an ‘easy method’.

1 Like

One thing that will affect my reply would be what you consider a ‘big’ project. I feel like I’ve achieved viability in Rhino for medium-sized projects. Definitely not large projects (I work in building construction). If you had an example just as a frame of reference it would be helpful.

For myself:

• Big and simple = yes (example: Large building but concrete only).
  • Small to Medium = yes (example: A house complete with windows, finishes, furniture).
  • Big and complex = No (example, same detail as above except a large building).

The biggest hurdle I had to overcome regarding this is the fact that all the information you need to achieve this is spread-out all over the place. There’s hour+ long videos that might have one small piece of information you need, and old (but very good) Rhino 5 tutorial that will have a few other things you need… but everything is quite scattered.

Also add in the fact that depending on what you’re doing, your approach will be different. Especially with things like layers… there’s not one right answer.

For Rhino 7, I basically came up with ‘my’ approach that worked well. I never quite polished it off (I know what to do I just never finished my template I guess) because R8 was on the horizon. R8 was released and has some features that would in theory make the 2D presentation way better… but as of right now there are pretty big issues with PDF output… so for now you can’t really use it for anything other than very basic 2D output.

I was going to start a post “share you best layout tips and tricks” as a way to get everything someone might need to know all into one place. From there, a person could just pluck what they needed and at least not have to start from zero, because starting from nothing sucks. I might do that but with R7 since R8 is going to need a bit of time before it’s ready for 2D documentation.

1 Like