Offset Discontinuos Surfaces

Dear community, I want to create a 0.01m offset continuous surface from the initial data, however, as the surfaces are not joined, the offset is performed using the normal plane of each face. As a consequence the result shown by GH are a set of surfaces non connected on the edges. Is there a way of solving this problem?

Please, to obtain the initial data transform the extension to .ghdata

Initial Data.gha (1.1 MB)

Thanks in advance

1 Like

hey @bbalbastre

Try “brep join” all the faces and then try the offset operation. I recommend you use pufferfish offset surface :slight_smile:

This is my response without lookin at your file, but I’ll taking a look after this message

bests

I tried to do what you said but I have the same problem in the borders of the structure. In the edge border of the surface the offset is performed using the normal vector and exists a discontinuity.

Why don’t you save your file as .gh ?

1 Like

The input I uploaded is a file.ghdata, since the surface is created with a tedious code and I wanted to simplify the result for you. It must be loaded in grasshopper using INPUT DATA

Didn’t use Data Input before. Interesting.

Your surfaces have a ton of isocurves… and there is one internal naked edge.

What units are you using?

1 Like

Data inputs are interesting solutions to organise better your models, I have used it a lot since I discovered it. Thanks for your interest. The surface is the result of complex of mergeing different section of the structure (I have to divide it in diferent surfaces since I need to have them separated for other questions such as separate walls and vaults and the different sections of the structure( Constructive phases)). That’s the reason when I merge the surface the isolines are different depending on the surface chosen. I am working in meters. Thanks a lot for your help

Here is an example using Python. Because of the underlying surface issues, the result isnt too great, but it might help you get closer to what you are looking for.

ThknBrep.gh (8.7 KB)

4 Likes

Python to the rescue! :snake:

2 Likes

Thanks for your effort, it is an advance although there are some issues to solve. I tried the shell component in Pufferfish and I achived almost the same result but not the final shape I was looking for

Maybe rework the surface? Sometimes it’s a good Idea to some adjusts (especially if you are importing this from another 3d software). Just a tip.

take care!

1 Like