OFF TOPIC: Digital Sundial using Openscad

Anyone here willing to trade Rhino or any other user based 3d modeling software for a script base Cad modeler? Lol…

I thought this was an interesting video on how a digital sundial was generated purely through code.

1 Like

That just blew me away! Code will rule…

OpenSCAD is a cool program, and well worth the effort of installing to play around a bit.

I’m not enough of a coder to take on a project of much complication, but I think it’s a fun thing to learn and mess around with.

I have a good friend who used to be my first ceramics teacher back in High School, We still keep in touch and ended up having a very close relationship. He’s about 86 years old or so. He often asks me about how computer programs work.

The last time the subject came up, I told him that I was going to help him write a program of his own. It won’t be much more than a lightly modified hello world program, because his typing skills aren’t all that great (and I don’t want him to get too frustrated with everything), but I’m also not so hot with the programing stuff myself, so I can’t go too far down the road anyhow.

Anyhow, this thread reminds me that I should install OpenSCAD on his computer. He’ll get a BIG KICK out of modeling something from code… and we can even get it 3D printed. Or better still…

He once taught me how to throw clay pots on a potters wheel. . . maybe now I can show him how to write a program that will model a simple cup, and we can send it off to a 3D printer which extrudes clay. put a glaze on it, and get it fired.

He could use it to drink his morning coffee with. I think he’d enjoy this idea an awful lot. He was always so interested in pushing the envelope around, and looking at new ideas, or even old ideas with a fresh set of eyes. Taking ceramics into the computer coding world would be right up his alley.

Thanks for the post @Mgevorki, It was good timing, from my perspective.

Now I’m going to have to see if I can figure out the code for putting a handle on a simple cup. that will be a bit tricky for me, but we’ll see what happens.

He might have to get use to using a cup that only has a stump coming out of its side. :slightly_smiling: … He’d probably like that even better though, because he could tease about it later on.

Take Care,

Jim

Well, you can “model with code” if you really want to right now in Rhino with something like Python or Grasshopper. With Python you can “code” directly in a computer language, Grasshopper is a visual interface to programmed modeling without having to type, but it’s still coding AFAIC.

The only real reason to code a model instead of using the normal Rhino GUI - aside from just for the fun of coding - is if you want to make it parametric or if you want to generate something with so many elements that is simply too complex and/or time consuming to model “by hand”. Otherwise, if it’s a one-off, you’re far better just using the normal GUI, as it was designed for exactly that reason - to make things easy to model using a visual interface and commands that run whole chunks of geometric and display code without you ever needing to know what’s going on “under the hood”.

–Mitch

1 Like