Odd behaviour when saving

Hi

Background
I recently bought a new laptop, a Dell XPS (so know it has the power etc), with Windows 10. I have had problems from the beginning as the wrong drivers were installed, but after many upgrades it should now be sorted… i.e. this shouldn’t be the problem I am about to describe, but I could be very wrong.

Current situation
I can work away happily in Rhino but as soon as I go to save the file Rhino “shrinks” from full screen to about a 1/3 of the screen size and the toolbars become tiny.

I can save the file but when I enlarge Rhino again the toolbars remain tiny and it is pretty much unusable, unless you have the patience of a saint…

The only way to sort this out is to shut down Rhino and reopen the file, then all is ok… until I save again. :wink:

Have no idea what is going. Any ideas? Thanks Laura

I think this will help:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/5/video/highres/toolbars_and_text_too_small_in_64-bit_rhino_5_on_high_resolution_screen

Hi Laura - you may also want to try:

In rhino shortcut properties, compatibility tab, select “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”

-Pascal

@John_Brock Thanks, tried that but it has not worked. Will try again, just in case the files haven’t saved correctly as had to update my admin rights during the process…
@pascal Ok, I have searched through all the properties I can think of but can’t find the compatibility tab. Sorry but can you provide a little more detail. Know I am going to kick myself when you tell me.

Cheers Laura

Right-click on the Desktop shortcut for starting Rhino
Click Properties
Select the Compatibility tab

Hi Laura - right click on the icon that start Rhino , choose Properties… do you see a Compatibility tab in that panel? One other thing to try - open Rhino, run this test command:

testToggleFileDialog

Then try the file dialog - Save etc. Does that work now? If so, place that command in your startup commands (Options >General page > ‘Run these commands every time Rhino starts’

Any luck?

-Pascal

@John_Brock @Pascal Thank you, the change to properties worked. Needed to change button size to large (although still small)… but I can now save without a load of faffing. Yay! :smiley:

Hi Laura - does it look & work right if you start Rhino by double-clicking on a 3dm file in Windows Explorer and not from the modified icon? If not, you may still want that test command in your startups.

-Pascal

Hi. Checked and it works fine, but will keep the test command up my sleeve just in case there is a future hiccup. Thanks again, much appreciated. Laura