Octane Speed Interior Animation Help

Hi Daniel,

Yes, diffuse mode, 230 rendered frames which took about 3 minutes each.
The progression isn’t very fast, i.e distance traveled over those frames.

I am now rendering in HD, and the diffuse mode is as slow as the path tracing,
about 12m per frame ! I have rendered 30 frames so far, does that give you
enough to see flickers or check for other problems ?

I really like Octane myself, it has a very nice quality of light, even just with using
a daylight environment.

I think the quality is very nice, perhaps some goes lost due to uploading process. Looking forward for the HD. This has been a nice double check before I invest in GPU.

Octane is especially very simple, comparing, lets say to vray. AO mode is also a lovely option for fast previews.

Hi Daniel,

Here is a mov in HD, 2000 samples in diffuse mode. The starry ceiling is much better, but I notices there is some
flickering coming out of the funnel in the far right hand corner. Each frame took 11.5 minutes.

I also just tried Path Tracing again, which took 14 minutes at 1500 samples, where I think its probably fine enough,and 19 minutes at 2000. I can hardly tell a difference between the two. Again, this was with about 3800 cuda cores using
network rendering.

Good luck with finishing your project, I look forward to seeing it when it’s finished !

you have been marvelous ben, I will forward you the final project, thanks again
d.

You are welcome, look forward to seeing your completed work.

Daniel:
You may want to increase the Sample Rate on the Black Body Emitters which are twinkling. Adding a 1000 X (or way more!) multiplier will ‘weight’ their light heavier in relation to the ambient. I think you may need their light to be strongly felt in each frame in order to be consistent.

Also, I find that Surface Brightness : Enabled is a cheat to Further multiply apparent brightness.

Sincerely, Sef.

1 Like

After some weeks with octane, I have to say I am impressed. There are some limitations with bongo, still it produces frames at unprecedented speed. Here WIP of the short film I make for my thesis: https://vimeo.com/155001255
Would love to hear some feedback.
d.

Looks perfect, super quality!!!

Please tell more about the Octane setup - engine, render time, hardware, special settings, tricks?

to the set up: that in comparison to vray is soooo much easier to learn. Vray you learn to know your whole life :slight_smile: engine is direct light/diffuse, that was the best option for me, AO looked too silly in the interior.

render time: Outside pictures with 500 samples took cca. 30 sec. interior with cca. 1500 samples not more than 3 minutes per frame. Noise was however partially removed in after effects.

hardware 2 nifty santa´s little helpers: http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1996-KR

the cloud scenes were rendered directly from rhino (this way sun animation was possible and since not too much geometry - scene loading was ok) the rest was from standalone

Looks amazing Daniel!

Did you use an camera motion blur in Octane Standalone?

You can significantly reduce noise by a) reducing the Kernel->Path Termination Power, and b) reducing GI Clamp. Pls see http://poserphysics.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/my-octane-faq.html for details.

Paul

1 Like