Objects in Shaded Viewports have no edges

When the Shaded View port settings are used, only the isocurves show and are highlighted yellow when selected. The edges do not appear at all.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2014-12-17 (5A629)
IronPython version: 5.1.2014.1006
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B25)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4980HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 1440 x 900
Displays: Color LCD

USB devices
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
ASIX Elec. Corp.: AX88772

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.43 310.41.05f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Are you sure you’re using the “Shaded” named display mode and not the “Rendered” named display mode?
The behaviour you’re showing and describing is how “Rendered” is supposed to work.

Those are all shaded viewports, the rendered viewport will actually highlight the edges, but does not show them like normal.

It sounds like the setting that define the different named display modes are buggered. I don’t think there is no U/I in Mac Rhino yet to control them. In Windows you can just reset them to defaults. I don’t think there’s an easy way to do that in Mac Rhino yet.
Maybe @dan has an idea.

Here is four different viewports of the same objects.

Wireframe                                                                        Shaded

Rendered                                                                        Ghost

This is a bug (MR-1156) in the current WIP release. We’re working on it. Oddly enough, it’s only a bug on Retina displays.

Ok, thanks. Any estimated timetable for that one, or a workaround?

Any estimated timetable for that one

Sorry, no timetable. Working on it. Hopefully the next WIP release.

or a workaround?

Yes, but not a good one unfortunately: attach an external, non-Retina display to your current Mac and drag the Rhino to that display.

fwiw john, this stuff is up&running in mac rhino already… (preferences → display modes)

what’s missing still is importing/exporting custom display modes… i don’t think OS X knows what an .ini file is ?

they need to get switched to something platform agnostic… wouldn’t a .txt file work for display settings?

what’s missing still is importing/exporting custom display modes… i don’t think OS X knows what an .ini file is ?
they need to get switched to something platform agnostic… wouldn’t a .txt file work for display settings?

Agreed…like xml. This one has been on the list since last summer (MR-811). The main challenge is not really technical, but more cross-platform coordination. Decisions, decisions :wink:

1 Like