Object parameters in GH

Hello,
I wonder if it is possible to remain some structure of an object parameters when extracting them in GH. Let’s say, I have a set of areas, and I want to extract one single parameter. I have assigned to these objects several categories, as they are described in the IFC specification. Now, there is a single list of all parameters, and the worse, they are sorted alphabetically. It would be ok if sometimes I wouldn’t add some knew parameters… Then all the definition is messed up…
This is how the definition looks like, I have several IFC categories:

And this is a continuous list in GH:

Could it be sorted somehow?
Cheers, Jaro

Hi @jerry.bakowski,

Which is the result that you would like to obtain in Grasshopper? For example a data tree with a branch for each parameter category and not sorted alphabetically?

Kind regards

Hello Ramon,
Just a data tree would be enough for me :slight_smile:
Cheers, Jaro

Hi @jerry.bakowski,

Why do you need to have the parameter list categorized? The category is just a UI display field of the parameter.

What I mean is that there isn’t a tree hierarchy. You can change the parameter category, and it will be the same parameter. Moreover, you cannot have two parameters with the same name, even if they have a different category.

Enric

Hello Enric,
There is one basic reason - I would like to have the same structure of properties as in the IFC specification. It may be just a display, but as long as I work on a project I would like it to be the way it suits me. Of course, when in VA, it is ok, but why it can’t be “displayed” the same way in GH? And as I understand the only way to display it in GH is to have it in categories…
As we can assign several property sets to an element I don’t want to browse a long list, categorization would be just a fine improvement. Not all the elements have such feature, but mostly I am struggling with spaces. There are several different categories, and I use almost all of them. Just for exchange of information, between trades. I know I can’t have 2 parameters with the same name, but it beats me, why? :wink: I have used some IFC property sets on the same element and there were duplicated names.
Cheers, Jaro

Hi Jaro,

The problem is that parameter categories is not the same as IFC property sets.

IFC property sets is something similar to structs or classes in object-oriented programming languages. They are groups of properties. A property sets define all the properties that it contains, so a property set is an entity on itself.

At the contrary, VisualARQ parameter categories are just display strings used in the UI to make it simpler to the user.

When you import an IFC file into VisualARQ, we use the category field because it is similar to the user, but it’s not the same, in any way.

In VisualARQ 3, we’ll try to implement structs, which will map correctly with IFC property sets. In the meantime, this is what we have now.

Using a tree to output the list of parameters will make is slower, and will make more complicated to evaluate the solution. An, as a developer point of view, it makes no sense. But maybe we can add an option to the component (not a input, but an option in the drop-down menu) to group them “by category” or “by type”. Or add a “category” input to filter the output that supports wildcards or regular expressions. I’m not a GH expert, but I guess everything I’m proposing (grouping by category/type and filtering) could already be done using some GH components without any development in our side.

Enric

Thank you, Enric, this explains a lot. If you are planning something in the future version, I can wait for it… :wink:
Cheers, Jaro

Hi @jerry.bakowski,

Maybe in the meantime this two Grasshopper components will be useful for you.

One obtains all the category names available for the parameters of an object and the other one obtains the parameter names of an object of a specific category.

VisualARQParametersCategories.gh (12.0 KB)
TestWallWithParameters.3dm (217.6 KB)

Hope this is useful for you. If you find any error let me know.

Kind regards

Hello Ramon,
It works perfectly, thank you very much :slight_smile:

Cheers, Jaro

1 Like