Object highlighting problem - does not respond to mouse cursor - system dependent

This problem does not occur in V6 and only recently started in V7. It is system dependent and occurs on my laptop but not on my desktop system. This problem affects my workflow.

The highlighted object does not change when moving the cursor in the pop-up panel listing multiple possible objects although the highlighting within the pop-up panel does respond to the cursor. However the highlighted object does change if I use the arrow keys to move through list of possible objects.

A related problem occurs when using MatchSrf or DupEdge and multiple edges are clicked on. The edge is highlighted and arrows appear to indicate which surface the edge belongs to. A pop-up panel appears listing the possible edges. If I move the cursor over the list of possible edges the highlighting within the pop-up panel changes but the highlighted edge and white arrows do not change. However if I use the arrow keys to move through the list of possible edges the highlighted edge and arrow keys change.

Again, this problem does not occur in V6, and only occurs in V7 on my laptop. Graphics drivers were updated yesterday to the most recent available on the Intel and NVIDIA download sites. Graphics performance on the laptop is set to “High performance”.

System Info for the laptop which has the problem.

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-10-21 (Rhino 7 BETA, 7.0.20295.18003, Git hash:master @ 2d4a7a5745d415e03dcb6752fc9743c66211a738)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-10-21
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2020-12-05

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 12Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-15-2020 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-30-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

System Info for my desktop which does not have the problem.

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-10-21 (Rhino 7 BETA, 7.0.20295.18003, Git hash:master @ 2d4a7a5745d415e03dcb6752fc9743c66211a738)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-10-21
Expires on: 2020-12-05

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (AMD) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 5-15-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.13587 Compatibility Profile Context 20.4.2 26.20.15029.27017

OpenGL Settings

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 5-15-2020
Driver Version: 26.20.15029.27017

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20295.18003
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

@pascal @wim Can someone from McNeel take a look and reply with either it will be looked at or it will be ignored?

What is known:

1. The problem is caused by changes between V6 and V7 Beta.
  2. The problem occurs in multiple situations so it is not related to a single visible command.
  3. The problem is related to changes in cursor position not being communicated to the code which controls object highlighting, but changes using the arrow keys are communicated.
  4. It is system dependent, possibly related to “hybrid graphics”/

Hi David - sorry… Jeff wrote an article recently, about configuring hybrid systems - there is a ton of information there, and it is a bit to read but may be helpful. We’ve been running into misconfigured (for Rhino) so the hope is that this will clarify… I do not know what, if any, changes you might need to make but this may get you pointed in the right direction…

-Pascal

@pascal The article Jeff wrote doesn’t help. I don’t have a separate display device (only the screen built into the laptop) and I already have graphics set on “High performance”.and I am using “Classic app”. So far this is the only graphics problem I have encountered with the laptop.

As I noted in my comments something is different between V6 and V7 Beta which is causing this problem. It is interesting that it appears to be independent of Rhino display mode. Added: I wonder if the problem is graphics related at all. The highlighting in the pop-up Selection menu works properly, and the object highlight works properly if the arrow keys are used to scroll thought the selection menu rather than moving the cursor.

@davidcockey,

If you know when the problem started, it may be worth checking for Windows Updates that appeared around that time but are not on the desktop. Also compare the Windows build numbers.

If the desktop lags the laptop in either area, bringing it up to date to see if you can break the behaviour there too could give a clue as to what’s happening.

Regards
Jeremy

Both the laptop and desktop are Windows 10 Home, Version 1909, Build 18363.1139. The laptop was updated almost 14 months ago, the desktop 9 months ago. I first noticed the problem two weeks ago or so but it may have been there previously. I’ve been using the V7 WIP sporadically since it was made available, and switch to the Beta version as primary when it was made available. So the problem may have been there longer but I didn’t use the V7 WIP enough to notice it.

@pascal The problem described in the first post is still occuring on my laptop. I have updated to Rhino 7 SR0 2020-11-9. I also updated the Intel video driver. SystemInfo is copied below.

The problem can result in errors objects/edges other than the one intended to be modified, duplicated, etc. If the error is not noticed when it occurs then it can result in significant wasted time discovering and correct the accumulated problems.

The general problem is:

Start a command which requires selecting an object or edge; for example Move, MatchSrf, DupEdge, etc.

Click in a location which Rhino considers to have an ambiguous object/edge selection, for example on or near two coincident edges. A “Selection Menu” appears with the list of the possibilities and the name of one of the possible objects/edges. The name of one of the possiblities is highlighted and the object/edge is also highlighted.

Move the mouse cursor over the Selection Menu. The name which is highlighted is the name which the cursor is over. The problem is the highlighting in the geometry does not change to the corresponding object/edge. However if I go ahead and complete the command the object/edge selected is the one corresponding to the last name highlighted, not the object/edge highlighted.

Scroll through the Selection Menu using the arrow keys then both the name highlighting and object/edge highlighting change properly.

This problem occurs on my laptop but not on my desktop as I noted above.

The laptop uses a wireless Microsoft mouse. The desktop uses an old HP USB mouse. I tried using the laptop with the USB mouse and the problem still occured.

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-11-9 (Rhino 7, 7.0.20314.03001, Git hash:master @ 9d1a3d02b292e00d3480c301d33f414d91acdcbd)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-11-09

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 12Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-8-2020 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71

OpenGL Settings

VeI move the cursor ndor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-30-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671

C:\Program Files\Orca3D V2\Orca3D.rhp “Orca3D” 2.0.18.0

C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

Hi David - I would be surprised if this was in any way related but we’ve seen some odd things like this in the past - so to at least eliminate this variable, can you please disable Orca in Options > Plug-ins page and then restart Rhino… does that change anything?

-Pascal

No change with Orca disabled and Rhino restarted. The problem still occurs.

Also, as mentioned previously the problem does not occur in V6

Thanks… I saw your comment above about the arrow keys working… that combined with the 6-7 difference leaves me extra mystified. I’ll see what I can find out…

@davidcockey - I’m afraid the developers are as mystified, so far, as I am. I will check with one other dev - he may have an idea.
David, is the laptop using more than one display?
And, does the trackpad do anything useful?
(rereading above, in case these are answered… )

-Pascal

@pascal Only the built in display with the laptop. The desktop has a single moniter… The touchpad/trackpad is currently deactivated because I found it overly sensitive. I’ll try to figure out how to activate it.

I got the touchpad working on the laptop and also uninstalled Asus Smart Gesture. The problem still occurs.

OK, thanks. I asked Mikko about it all - he’s the one mostly in charge of the menu. It does look like there is special code in there to handle the arrow keys, interestingly enough - that is all I could get today from the more local devs, we’ll see what Mikko has to say… different time zone…

-Pascal