Nurbs curve to surface

Well it works but it’s not making the streched effect… It’s driving me crazy

What is the stiffness you used? Try 0.1

try making more isocurves in one direction. V should be radial

Hello,

that not how you model with Nurbs. You have no control on curvature, when modelling like this. Curves looking good, but that doesn’t mean that your surface(s) will do. Usually you create an complex shape with more than one surface. Usually you model less curved parts first and blend in between. A good surface layout yields a good curvature flow. I don’t believe you will ever produce something useful using grasshopper here.

:slight_smile: Tom, don’t discourage him.

Perhaps if I had the curves I could try to do it, This is not so complex form to use multiple surfaces.

I’m not discouraging him, at least I hope so :worried:. Its going into the wrong direction, and that is what I’m saying. It might be a better idea, to model a sketch in Rhino, and see if you can do it parametrically in GH.

No one is discouraging me. I just see advices and thank you all for that ! I think grasshopper can make the impossible. Is it possible to make a point a double attractor ? The second attractor could maybe stretch the shape or make it thiner

Ok that really got messy, but I hope you can do something with it. Pls dont look into the file :smiley: The tree Management ****** me up. There is a much simpler way, but at the moment and the 5x5 min, I had time between my work, didn’t let me find a more elegant solution.

If this is still not what you’re after, I can’t help you further.

RadialGritPinch_rere.gh (33.7 KB)

here is a principal sketch how I would do this:

in GH its very difficult, you can however make use of the new fillet functionality or the blend surface command in Rhinocommon (useable by script in GH 1.0+) , its quite challenging though.

Please be Aware, the script is not bulletproof. as soon the regions overlap far each other, you don’t get nice results. I want to replace the “Point in curves” component with something like pull Point, but I don’t know yet, how to seperate the branches for each area.

Tim you are a hero ! Thank you very much this is pretty much the result I expected ! I can’t make your file functional as i’m a newbie with grasshopper but i’m looking into it

out of curiosity, what will that result be?

There is no result only training but i was inspired by this from Mathieu Lehanneur. I can’t really explain how I ended up with this idea.
Thank you for your help Tom !

2 Likes

Well it seems that i can’t make it work. Do i have to set some points or curves ?

Your attractor curves. But this won’t look like your picture. Next time post pls something like that earlier for example as you posted your first sketches.

It’s not what i want to reproduce, it is juste an inspiration to train myself for doing something else

Why not just let the would be surface control points do the work. Similar to how just pulling up controlpoints in rhino would be?

BumpRadialNurbs.gh (9.1 KB)

3 Likes

I would do this as a mesh with a stamp/mask image in Zbrush in like 10 seconds and call it a day. Right tool for the Right job. Keep that in mind.

1 Like

Tried it with a simple image sampler and a water picture. It’s the first Picture I found on Google, but with the right one, it could look similar to the example.

1 Like

Thank you mickael, that is much more easier to handle. Is it possible to set different heights ?

Yes just us more movement values in the moves T input.