Numbering for sewing

do you do this on top of a 9 to 5 job ?

Work here at McNeel? Yes. Make elaborate scripts that I hope will work eventuallyā€¦ noā€¦

=)

-Pascal

1 Like

hehe, keep up the great work helping us noobs :slight_smile: You and the other awesome guys and gals who help us new guys find our way around take a massive amount of frustration out of learning Rhino ā€¦

@alexkskim1, @fragged8, @jaybee63 - something to try, if you get bored:

This one takes closed planar curves in WorldXY as input and creates the offset and adds the numbering if askedā€¦ direction should not be an issue any more.

• Numbering is added inside the offset
  • Hashmarks are only in the offset.

No doubt there are things to fix here as well - but have a try - with the feedback Iā€™m getting, I think this might be getting close to useful. If you find curves that throw an error, please post those - Iā€™ve covered at least the most likely curve types, I think, but you never know.

@fragged8, @alexkskim1, @jaybee63 - small tweak added to allow closed planar curves in any orientation and location. Let me know if I broke anythingā€¦

@fragged8, @alexkskim1, @jaybee63 - added font setting and extensions of the hash marks setting. Also just added a ā€˜Hole=Yes/Noā€™ option. If Yes, then the offsets are to the inside of the closed curve.

-Pascal

It is very very very great and nice of you, even though I do not know how difficult it is. I will get back to you. thanks again.

Hello Pascal!!! Any great outcome on text on the edge marker?

In the meantime, my head designer tells me that your last solution is working very well except open curve.

For instance, he cuts the half of circle(open curve) and do numbering like closed planar curves. But he havenā€™t made it yet. Please help him again.

For your reference, I am attaching a file.

ThanksSample4.3dm (1.5 MB)

@alexkskim1 I am out of town until next week. Iā€™ll take a look then.
-Pascal

THANKS!!! Pascal

I have a large job that might be able to use your script on Pascal, iā€™ll let you know how I get onā€¦

@fragged8 thanksā€¦I look forward to it.

@alexkskim1 -

Right now, it looks like one way or another the workflow will need to be at least slightly more complex-

• To allow open curves, there needs to be a direction option. I do not see any good way to guess reliably. ( I assumed there would always be a closed loop of curves when dealing with fabric edges)

• To allow offsetting to holes in the fabric, there also needs to be a direction option of some kind- currently marking holes will go the ā€˜wrongā€™ way, onto the part.
    This is done in the code linked above.

• Thereā€™s a request to be able to extend the markers to the inside as well as the current behavior of adding them on the outside.
    This is done in the code linked above.

• It should be possible to select the font.
    @alexkskim1, @fragged8, @jaybee63 - the code above is updated with my first try at setting the font - let me knowā€¦ Iā€™ll add it to the seam marker as well. Single stroke fonts are filtered to the top of the list.

• Textā€¦ this might be hard to get right, believe it or not.

-Pascal

Hi @fragged8!

Any good news for us?

1 Like

Hi! Pascal! Long Time. It is too hot here in Korea. Everybody is going to exhausted. Can I ask any good news on open curves? That is the very last step to solve our problem, I believe. Let me ask one silly question. It is hard to make no. 75 on the attached file to text like No.1?

Hi @alexkskim1

Unfortunately no news, I made the large building with my old method as my schedule for delivery was very tight, I hope to find another job to use this method soon.

Richard

Hi @fragged8!

Thanksā€¦Richard

1 Like