Numbering for sewing

Hiya

Finally I worked out how to run your seam marker script, i did try to make a button but I can do that later.

it worked great !! except for one thing it is pretty much exactly what I need so it is a cool script. just one thing is the markers appear on the surface edge but dont stick the surfaces ? is this because of the way I am using it ?

EDIT, i see I have to select the surface and the registration marks together before moving the surface ?
I’ll try your second awesome script now :slight_smile:
thank you

Yes… it is certainly possible to group the markers with the surfaces though,if that seems like a good thing.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks for your guidance. my designer is working on it. Sooner or later, I will give you further questions. Sorry for bothering you and appreciate much.

1 Like

Paskal’s explanation is very helpful for us. Thanks for that. However, it is difficult for us to apply it directly to our work. Perhaps it is because of our lack of ability and understanding on Rhino. So, I will try to explain our work processes again for your better understanding.

• Work process

1.3D modeling

2.Smash

3.Extract lines on the smashed surface

4.Offset

5.By ArrayCrv, creating seams along the lines for sewing

1. Opening the file in illustrator program for coloring and numbering

Purpose: numbering as many as possible for easy and perfect sewing especially for making huge air sculpture

Bottleneck: Problem of numbering is entering only manually → limited numbering only on important points

Result: lack of numbers of numbering points causes sewing mistakes, even though taking so long time for manual numbering.

Task: A way for automatic assigning number on the each and every seam parts divided by small lines.
The numbers are shown only on the seam parts not to be shown the numbers on the surface of sculpture.

I am uploading another 3D example file and at the same time, uploading the reference images related to sewing operation.

Thanks in advance.Sample2.3dm (332.5 KB)

Pascal, what would be really handy is the option to specify how many matchmarks are applied along an edge, as per in the array command.
The marks would then be applied evenly sub-divided along the curve.

1 Like

Hello - yep, I see that - should be easy enough to add.

@jaybee63 - see if this does anything you like:

-Pascal

2 Likes

Hello - @alexkskim1 see if this does you any good at all - it will ask for a planar surface and then edges on that surface - you’ll then see a bunch of settings as to how to divide and number - you hit Enter to accept and move on to the next edge - I assumed that each edge is likely to be quite different in length from the next so you’ll probably want to change the divisions to suit.

Are we anywhere near something useful? My guess is you also want to mark the opposite or matching edges on the the neighboring surface at the same time?

-Pascal

Yes, I want to mark numbers exactly as you are mentioning. I will get back to you after discussing with my designer very soon. Thanks.

Hello - for now, see if it works to mark one edge, then end the command, then start again and reset the starting number and select the second edge - this is just to see if you can get the right results that way, I know it is not convenient.

@alexkskim1 - I monkeyed with this a little more - the code above has been updated - now you pick an edge, set the options, and then pick a second edge and it is marked in the same way with the same number sequence

@jaybee63, @alexkskim1 - I’ve updated the scripts linked above - hopefully they work better - the SeamMarker_ Divide one is the most changed, I see one or two things to change on the other one as well.

-Pascal

Alex- This is the best kind of management help that a design team can get- Love that you got into these technical details for your team. Also impressive to see how quickly Pascal and McNeel responded- and this script will be helpful for all Rhino soft-goods designers.

3 Likes

@pascal - Your EdgeMarker_Divde.py scripts work very well. Thanks for your quick feedback. I have a few questions on it.

1. Location of number

As you can see in the above image, what I want is that the numbers are located inside seams only (like red circle). Some numbers of yours (as in blue circle) are out of seams and located in the printed surface. I believe you can solve this one very easily…

1. Location of number 2

In spite of putting Marker size as 0.6, the length of marking line is as 1.2…and this cause the location of number more inside of printing surface. Please see the below picture.

1. Reverse turning of numbers at curve

As you can find the next picture, some numbers are out of range and some are reversed. Please look into it.

1. For our adjustment of number at some cases, can you apply the numbers as texts not as lines.

Sorry for continuous questioning and appreciate for everything.

That’s fine , no problem - I assume there will be things to tune up. Incidentally, I had another request for this script which is to add the numbers beside the marker and not centered - would that be OK for your purposes?

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes. In seams to hide from actual product.

Hello - @alexkskim1 see if the latest versions from the Git links above are any better. I made some changes but I know these are still to come-

1. Actual text on the edge marker - this may seem straightforward but is not so easy, I’m looking at it.

2. Hash mark length is still for the half and not the whole line length on the edge marker - this is easy to fix but I may want to take a different approach, so I’m holding off - the accurate length, the one refelcted at the command line option, is in fact the length of the mark that is on the fabric and does take into account the length that is ‘in space’. I do not know if that extra is of any use…?

Also, @alexkskim1 - can you please post an example where the numbers flip? I have not seen that yet here.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hello - @paskal, I will post a sample within today.

In the meantime, regretfully, I am not so clear about your No.2 comment. Can you explain this one again?

@pascal, first, my designer cannot check your last version because of some errors like the followings. Please see the following picture.

Also, please refer to the attached sample file.

Sample3.zip (108.0 KB)

Thanks always.

Hello @alexkskim1 Here, the numbers are one way or the other - they -so far- do not flip in the middle of the edge… However, the direction does currently depend upon the surface direction - I can see that it’s probably OK to ignore this and use the World XY plane - I made it use the surface so that it would work with surfaces in any orientation, not just on the XY plane, but perhaps that is not necessary

At any rate - for now, use the Dir (Analyze menu > Direction) or ShowDir commands to make sure the surface UV directions correspond to the ‘Right hand rule’ (this is the natural UV and Normal direction of the surface).

U = X. V = Y, Normal = Z

It is one step more complicated on Rhino surfaces because the normal can be flipped - but for now ignore the normal (white) arrow- what counts are the U and V, the natural normal is determined by these. As far as I can see all the text comes out correct if the surfaces’ natural normal is up. I’ll see if I can make this easier,

Good, natural normal is up:image image

Bad, natural normal is down: image image

As for the script error- that is my fault - sorry! I was experimenting with adding actual text and I left one line still active - the script is updated.

-Pascal

1 Like

I’m chipping away at just letting it use closed planar curves in World XY to avoid the whole direction problem … this has its own set of complications…

-Pascal

I too appreciate the huge amount of work you are doing on this script Pascal, It will be very helpful to me as well… . you rock !!

It’s an adventure - not what anticipated but it’s hard to drop it just short of being useful…

-Pascal

2 Likes