Nozzles on facade, Kunsthaus Graz

Kunsthaus study 11.30.gh (76.9 KB)

Rhino-software-essential-create-curved-architectural-designs There-are-16-leanng-nozzles-on-the-top

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to build up a 3d model following the example of the Kunsthaus in Graz.
I find very complicated to reconstruct the nozzles…
every help is highly appreciated ^^

Thanks!

I’d start with BlendSrf. Create cylindrical surfaces which wrap around the tips of the nozzles, and cut circular or elliptical holes in your base surface. Then blend between those trims.

You could also try sub-d surfaces in Rhino7, but they weren’t available when the Kunsthaus was made so they used a different approach back then.

2 Likes

Looks a modeling with other software or tsplines

modeling

I think it has been modeled with Catia. I am trying to rebuild the logic using GH. But it’s a little complicated.

Looks there are different parts ; check the link and you can try something like that: one shape from hexagon and the second from circle

1 Like

Hey,

Here’s a way to achieve the basic shape as a neat and highly customisable mesh, which makes your file much more efficient and quick to work with. The oculi are produced by point attractors. You may introduce as many as you see fit.

I’ve included a custom Python component of mine that handles the mesh lofts. For now they are simple straight extrusions, but you can produce pretty much any shape by just feeding the right, ordered section curves (polylines) to this custom component.

Kunsthaus study 11.30 v2.gh (45.5 KB)

4 Likes

That’s way closer to the desired result!
Thank you so much!

Graz, Germany? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t think you should do this in Grasshopper at all. It is much simpler to create the blendings manually as kind of postprocessing unless you plan to create more then 14, as you see at the Kunsthaus. The reason why you have difficulties is because in Grasshopper you don’t have no good tools for building blend/transition surfaces. I mean you can prepare as much as you can in GH and do the rest manually.

Edit: unless you go for surface data instead of mesh data of course

1 Like

You are right, I still haven’t find a good method to deal with the blending/transition surfaces.
Thanks for your advice.

If you are simply looking for smoother transitions, you can simply subdivide the mesh from my above example with the Catmull-Clark component from Weaverbird.

Kunsthaus study 11.30 v2.gh (45.5 KB)

1 Like

Kunsthaus study 13.45.gh (131.5 KB)
That’s what I did! thank you very much for your help!
However, I still have some doubts about how to do the openings of the nozzles.
The mesh creates irregular polylines…not flat. I have tried to recreate them but unsuccessfully.

Thanks for your help all other’s contributions!

1 Like

Here’s an example on how to model the individual oculi more cleanly:

The purple curves represent the upper and lower polylines that define the height and overall shape of each oculus. The green ones refine the shape and add the rough opening and inset on top. The blue polylines are secondary edge loops that create harder edges, when placed near other existing mesh edge loops.

I would model the windows as separate geometries. You can start by extracting the naked edge of the opening as a base and continue from there.

2 Likes

Thanks! ^^

Oops, I forgot to append the file!

oculus_modelling_example.gh (21.6 KB)

This should also give you an idea on how to model the big building openings more cleanly. For this method to work, you need to keep the point count of your polylines constant.

1 Like

Just another try, though it is not exactly the same!

Cheers,

2 Likes

Hi there. I am trying to model Kistefos museum, however I am new to Rhino, and even though I am trying to do it for a week now, is not working. I have an assignemt to do for Thursday and I really need help. What would you suggest for the pannels of the building and the detailed rounds that are above?

Welcome Achim,

You could have started a new discussion for this topic, since it isn’t really related to this one.

The Kistefos museum is a pretty straightforward design. Here’s one way to achieve the base form.

kistefos_museum_01.gh (18.9 KB)

1 Like

i’m sorry, I meant kunsthaus in graz*