Novice 2D printing issues

Hi,

I am working on some 2D plans for a few stage designs and have a lot of issues with getting plans to print smoothly.
Just moving from Vectorworks and still new at this, probably some very easy to solve issues but I seem to be stuck.

a) Is there a way for me to hide (not trim) geometry behind a block? Trimming is not an option due to the amount of revisions the projects go through. I have gotten around this by hatching every block, but that took quite a tool on my refresh rate

b) Line weight scale seems to be behaving really strangely. The lines are very to the point where is just a black blob on an A2 page and using “printdisplay” causes rhino to crash.
To make a usable print I need to scale the lineweight in the printer settings to 0,001 (images below) . All line weights are set between hairline and 0.25
Full confession: I totally gave up text model and layout scaling, just couldnt make it work. Perhaps that is the issue?

c) This is more generic, but my file seems to be unreasonably slow. The geometry is not that heavy (97 block instances, 6 hatches, 162 curves, 46 texts, 6 Leader) and it seems to cap at 4fps. Would you have any suggestions for optimising the viewport for 2D drawing? I am currently just using wireframe and a subversion of wireframe with darker background.

It would be fantastic if the Layout view could work a bit more like a WYSIWYG for the print. Even if this would be a temporary command you can toggle. As of now it takes me way too many prints to get a good one

I am on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) - 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB

… and using the latest WIP to take advantage of the block and layout improvements (Version 7 WIP (7.0.20154.16016, 2020-06-02). All documents in mm

Hope this was clear, thank you for your help

Hi -

I’m not completely sure what you are intending to do but, in a layout, you could try using HideInDetail for geometry that you don’t want to show in a specific detail, or place a white hatch over parts that you want to hide.

Can you post a simple example 3dm with just a few lines?

The settings are meant to make sense in a layout. If you then also want them to make sense in model space, you will then (depending on the size of objects) have to deal with scaling.

If you can, please upload a confidential file to https://www.rhino3d.com/upload and make sure to paste the URL to this discussion in the comments field.
-wim

You’re running Catalina 10.15.0.
There are known problems (bugs) in that initial build.
The current Catalina is 10.15.5

Please update it

thank you @wim file sent

@John_Brock Thank you for your reply. Catalina has been a major pia, I will update straight away

Thank you for all your help.
I have gotten advice from tech support and thinks are much better. Updating OSX definitely helped.

The issue came from a PDF import that I had used to base some geometry and had line weight at 400 and something.

Also, I have been using printdisplay to have a WYSIWYG of my documentation and noticed that if on, line weights over 1 seem to crash rhino consistently.

A post was split to a new topic: Mac V7 PrintDisplay with width >1mm causes crash