Normalize vector; Surface morph with Constrain Normal

Hello,

Is there are way to emulate the ConstrainNormal option in the _FlowAlongSrf command from rhinocommon in a grasshopper workflow? the object that I’m morphing need to conform to the underlying target surface for using twisted boxes is not an option. I would like to morph objects to the surface as you normally would, but override the surface normal at any giving location and replace it with a single vector direction.

My work is confidential so I cant share images or my files in this forum, but I can upload a personal file later that is a close approximation to my working file if its required.

Hi @benjamin.moulton,

I assume you are trying to use the Sporph component?

– Dale

Hello Dale,

I’m primarily using SrfMorph, but am unable to maintain a constrained vector n the W domain.

Yes, I’m working on a few options and Sporph is one of them. My target surfaces are iso-trimmed from a single surface.

I’ve also used paneling tools and have displaced the paneling grid in a single direction, but I’m still experiencing a lot of twisting in the resulting geo in areas with more underlying surface curvature.

Hi @benjamin.moulton,

If you are looking for FlowAlongSrf -type behavior, then you should be using the Sporph component, as it uses the sample space morph algorithm as the beforementioned command.

Grasshopper’s Sporph component just wraps the SporphSpaceMorph class found in RhinoCommon. Note, the ConstrainNormal parameter is not exposed on this class. I’ve logged an issue so we can get one added.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-65933

– Dale

1 Like

RH-65933 is fixed in Rhino 7 Service Release 12

1 Like