Nondestructive detailing of models

(Gustavo Fontana) #1

Hi Holger, you are probably right, this might be the more correct story here.

BTW, I grabbed that messy/sliced-up model yesterday and started making it into a cleaned, more design/form-editable one. No door/trims/lights cuts. Just creases and floating trim objects. I want to finish this soon and start using it to get @andy & @theoutside start thinking about non-destructive detailing with projected shutlining curves. They could be mesh edges/edge loops. Or arbitrary projections that do not follow the poly flow.

Here is a WIP:

this is what it looked like before:

lots of extra loops that mame teh model puffy, it breaks continuities and has gaps that are sloppy and doughy. This would be impossible to massage into a different design. Which is what I want to explore with non-destructive detailing.

…yeah I know my headlights are more Bentley than Audi. I just can’t bring myself to make those ugly Camaro rectangles.

Robert McNeel & Associates are in decline
(Gustavo Fontana) #2

quoting myself over here. This is a test making a weight map to a selection of edges. then tweak the map to be black and white and use it to drive displacement in the model. It’s a very nerdy process and slow to render compared to shutligning but it’s a good proof of concept I think:

That’s Alias? Last time I used it was in a pizza box.

(Gustavo Fontana) #4

All those tests are Modo. No one can pay me enough to ever go back to Alias. Still have scars from it.

It’s MODO, man!

I was holding off getting Modo for a while due to it’s price of $1700+ … but I just discovered they have changed their policy. You can now get an educational version for $140 per year. That’s perfect for jumping in and learning at my own pace.

I’m always impressed by what Gustavo has produced.

(Gustavo Fontana) #6

Yeah Dave it makes sense to jump in. Also I think you might be able to get your Vray license to work since Modo has a Vray plugin.

Impressed? I only share hacks and random stuff on the interwebs. But yeah Modo is a bit tricky & high-maintenance, but very useful.