Non-persistent command versions

Setting up toolbars and keyboard shortcuts in V8.

Is there a way to make non-persistent versions of these commands to assign to a button or keyboard shortcut, such that they cancel when Esc is hit or I click off the objects (click in viewport background)?:

Dir
ShowEdges (naked)

When I use these, it’s usually just to make a quick check. There may be one or two other commands where the same applies.

Hi Matt - Dir should quit on Esc, but ShowEdges and ShowDir will not. There is no ‘volatile’ version of these…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal - Any way to fudge it with a macro, perhaps hitting enter a couple of times to get out of it?

Thinking…
@MattE - here’s a basic python that will show nakeds on a surface, polysurface , extrusion, mesh or SubD.

(Temporarily draw naked edges on breps, meshes, extrusions and SubD objects. · GitHub)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

1 Like

on mac these quit on esc by the way

That’s impressive Pascal. Seems like a lot of script for something that seems so trivial.

From limited trials, it’s working very nicely. I especially like the option to get curves from the results.

If I change AppearanceSettings.TrackingColor to what I’m used to seeing (the bright pink colour used in the native naked edge command) in Rhino global settings, what else will that likely affect?

That’s a minor point though - thanks very much for putting this together. I seem to recall (much) older versions of Rhino handling naked edge display in a very similar way. Perhaps that’s what prompted my request.

Hi Matt - I updated it several times yesterday- I was entertaining myself - - the last one should be using the the naked edges color, and draw points at the ends of the edges.

-Pascal

In that case, I’ll take a look at the latest one.

Not fussed about points at the ends of edges. It would be good to have the edges joined, or an option to do same where ends are coincident within file tolerance. Going through your scripts in the editor is a great way of learning Python. Getting the basic framework for a script such as this eludes me though. I’d never have structred it in the way you have, though now I’ve worked through it I can see why you’ve done it that way. I guess one can put that down to experience…

Hi Matt - I added the points display because on SubD objects the edges do not necessarily correspond to any interior curves in the SubD so it was hard to tell what was going on -

(Don’t take my scripts for anything more than bludgeoning-my-way-through type examples…)

-Pascal